Schizophrenia.com

Weight gain and meds

Have you ever tried a treadmill? I lost like 50 lbs on a treadmill when I was younger. It’s just walking and you could do it while you watch tv or listen to the radio.

3 Likes

Yes when I was on Abilify in the gym, did almost daily 45min cardio, 30 min elliptical and 15min running on the treadmill. I was 180lb.

1 Like

Well, like I said, maybe the med switch will help your motivation level. IDK.
If you were better on Abilify maybe you will be better on Clozapine too.

1 Like

I’ve got a mini 6 pack
Of Dr pepper in the fridge. :relaxed:

4 Likes

In the winter when I was manic I walked everyday between 8 and 20kms for a good month and lost like 25 pounds. Walking in cold Temps and pouring rain. One night I walked 23kms from like 11pm till 5am or something.
I felt like my shins were gonna blow up. I think I’m lucky I didn’t injure my ankles from sudden over use cuz I wasn’t doing any walking before that.

Moderation is prob the key for longevity

4 Likes

My family enables me. My cardiologist is on me like white on rice to get down to a target weight.

1 Like

Oh it is definitely the meds that made me gain weight. I’ve only gotten fat on two meds, one was Nardil, the other was antipsychotics in general (Zyprexa, I’m looking at you). When I stopped taking Nardil, I lost the 130 pounds I had gained pretty quickly. I started taking antipsychotics and gained all the weight back and then some. I’m losing weight now, but it didn’t start happening without a huge amount of effort, self control, and the right med/dosage combination.
I think some people might be more susceptible to weight gain from meds than others and unfortunately I’m one of those people. My psychiatrist doesn’t really agree with me on this and I saw that on my chart he had listed me as having an unspecified eating disorder. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Here is part of my problem…

:blush:

6 Likes

Try to eat lower calories per 100g food,it’s a effective tactic to lose weight compared to just eating less, this way you don’t have to eat less and can in fact eat more to lose weight. But there’s a limit to how much weight that can be lost on antipsychotics and obesity increases risk of death, check my 600lb life to see their explanation

1 Like

What bmi were you at with 180lb?and risperidone 4-6mg only makes like a 5-13kg difference for me than abilify 10mg, I was still obese either way

1 Like

I had an excellent metabolism before meds but I’m on a lower dose and the weight is flying off fast! Don’t give up hope! I was 250 pounds at my highest!! Now I’m 190 something I could lose 20 more I like being thin thin

1 Like

I lost weight due to replacing my lunch by a protein shake. I’m on 12 mg Invega, which is similar to risperdal.

1 Like

My parents also dont believe me
that meds cause weight gain.
But since the onset of sz,
I have gained 30kgs

1 Like

Zyprexa completely annihilated my metabolism.

I was only on it for a month to a month and a half, tops.

Gained about 40 lbs in that time.

4 Likes

Meds are a contributing factor in weight gain

You gotta tame the ‘beast’ @Aziz

1 Like

It definitely is true. And they are simply ignorant.

But at the same time, make sure you do something about it. Cut down on carbs and limit how often you eat fast food and sugary stuff.
My GP told me that exercise is great for you, but its a waste of time to pursue if your diet sucks and you only are exercising to lose weight.

2 Likes

Abilify makes me want to eat all the things! My doctor says it’s supposed to be better than the other APs (it doesn’t cause as much weight gain), but many people in the reviews said it made them think of food non-stop. While on Abilify, I was hungry all the time before going on Ozempic (a diabetes med). I’m on Jardiance too, so if you’re going to eat, go for lots of veggies, and exercise a bit, so you don’t get diabetes type 2. Also, the reality of losing friends, and job, means that people with schizophrenia might eat out of loneliness, boredom or sadness.

2 Likes

Just because its better, doesn’t mean its truly neutral. It just means its less worse than others

3 Likes

It is tricky when the only enjoyment left is food!

If you are on APs you simply cannot eat what you want. Any surplus is magnified by the slowing down of the metabolism.

APs mean a constant diet for as long as you are on them, and I know that is terrible news but for me it is blatantly true. I don’t get a choice what medication I get, so I have to suck it up and live on a meagre ration.

4 Likes

This is why I try to have so many other hobbies to distract me from always being hungry.

4 Likes