We have to make a change, things are getting ridiculous

The negativity around here is overwhelming.

I’m part of the problem,

With my sarcasm, self loathing, and sometimes mean spirited comments.

What can we do to turn things around?

I know I’m going to stop griping as much and start really trying to help people instead of just one upping their problems with my own.

9 Likes

You can grip that whole but don’t grip the chat

What?

I don’t understand.

Sorry if I’m mostly negative :frowning:
Things are not usually the best for me, so I tend to bring that with me here because I have nowhere else to go with it, and talking to you guys makes me feel better :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m struggling as a moderator with the overwhelming amount of suicidal and violently delusional content. I want this to be a place where people can come for help, but I feel at times these topics flood out everything else. I’d like to hear perspectives on this.

7 Likes

The forum is for us to have a place to unload,

That’s not the problem.

I feel like its those of us with not a lot to complain about not helping out enough.

No need to apologize,

Keep posting, homegirl.

2 Likes

I know it has to be overwhelming, especially because you get all the “say anything” stuff straight to your account.

I’m not saying this is a moderator problem,

Its just dark around here lately and I don’t know what to do or how to help.

1 Like

I had mixed feelings about @shutterbug starting a new forum for just high functioning people. But, intellectually I can see why he did it. One reason is that negativity is contagious. I think some people don’t realize how often they’re being negative. But too much negativity here is oppressive to me. The problem is not any single one person, of course. I’m guilty of sporadic negativity too.

1 Like

I try to help people based on what I’m reading and what I know about the person, but sometimes coddling isn’t the best way to help a person.

There are times when people need to be pushed outside of their comfort zone, but I’m hesitant to do that on this website.

2 Likes

You are 100% on the mark.

I read something about someone feeling crappy and I want to comment and think about how crappy I feel.

We’re supposed to support one another and interject some positive vibes into those situations, not keep the ball rolling.

Still, its difficult.

Thanks for the thoughtful comment.

2 Likes

It can be really tough on a person when things are really bad and the best response you can get is, go see your doctor.

6 Likes

Me too,

I’m a believer in tough love,

But I struggle with the line between tough love and being a bitch,

So a lot of times I say the wrong thing.

3 Likes

I do my best to help others, and sometimes I need help.

6 Likes

We all do,

That’s why we’re here.

I feel like you have a lot of great contributions here and maintain a good attitude.

2 Likes

I wish we could feed all of our problems and negative experiences into a computer AI system, and see what comes out the other end that we may not have previously thought of, and that may be helpful. The sum is greater than the parts,

2 Likes

me, personally have been ill for too long. I am not suicidal but sometimes I read stuff and think I should stay away from here honestly. It is not a very healthy environment and I learn a lot of strange things about others and their illnesses. I have been coming on here less often and not clicking on many threads.

2 Likes

I’m guilty of often being negative here…but this is the only place I can unload my experiences and not feel condemned by those reading them. Admittedly, y’all get a LOT more detail than any of my family or even pdoc…but even tho sometimes my stories seem depressing or negative, chatting about them with y’all is really cathartic for me, and just the fact that I’m here means I’m not in the hospital.
I will make an effort to try and be more positive.

4 Likes

I don’t know.

I hear someone say something about staying away from negative people and it doesn’t really sit right with me. It isn’t really just as negative to avoid something like negativity because of fear it’s contagious?

After a number of things that happened recently I started feeling suicidal (sorry to bring this up) and did not find help in any of the advice online. What did help shocked me even though it didn’t help for long.

Someone said as their experience from being on the other end of the suicidal hotline that it actually helps some people to say, “Gee. All that does sound pretty crappy.”.

Anyway, these people getting a handful of success and positivity should want to spread it in a negative environment in my opinion. Why hoard it?

I already know what some people will say to that… Bah.

3 Likes

Keep posting.

If you need to unload, do it.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t come here with our problems,

That’s what this community is for.

I just think we can lift this dark veil by making some smallish changes.

2 Likes

I’ve had periods of negativity here too. For me it’s just that it feels like it’s the only place where I can really vent. I don’t really vent to my pdoc or psychologist or anyone really. But I haven’t been venting here lately, I’ve been feeling more positive and haven’t felt the need to. It’s a good place for people to get things off their chest. But you also need to actively try and improve yourself. That’s what’s helped me.

6 Likes