Schizophrenia.com

Very slow progress-weight

Thought I was doing well as I had lost roughly 19lbs in 5-6 weeks (according to weigh in at the depot clinic) without really dieting but things have slowed down since I got my talking scales ie (1)start 239.6 lbs (2) 1st week 239.6 (3) 2nd week 238.8. It’s beginning to remind me of the last time when I lost 6lbs in 12 weeks and projected it would take me over 3 years to get to a healthy weight! Just couldn’t face it then so just gave up.

I fall into that trap too. I start diets that I know will take me a year or more to get to my goal weight and it seems daunting. But I tell myself If I DON"T diet, in a year or more I will be fat so I might as well do the diet anyway instead of doing nothing. A year is a long time but I tell myself, "I can either be skinny in a year or fat. I choose skinny.
It’s hard starting a diet but, “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step”.

3 Likes

Given how much I am overweight I don’t expect to get to a healthy weight in a couple of months and know it’s a long haul thing. If I could manage 1-2 lbs a week that would be fine. You are right in what you say and thanks for pointing that out to me. I guess the weight going in the right direction ,albeit very slowly, is better than the opposite.

Eating habits change in summer than from winter also. I lost something like 30kg one summer without doing much.

Scales aren’t that accurate. They also don’t measure how much fat has turned to muscle so can be misleading.

I know that muscle weighs more than fat but I’m one of the least muscular guys around.

Does your scale have an English accent or sound robotic?

It has an English accent but with a slightly robotic quality.

2 Likes

You’re doing good. Rapid weight loss is usually the result of having less water in your system. If someone loses, say, 5 lbs. in 7 days, it is from less water in his system, not from a calorie deficit. You can gain or lose surprising amounts of weight by losing or consuming fluids. You lose fluids by sweating and urination. A pound of body fat has 3,500 calories. For a person to lose 5 lbs. in a week, he would have to have a calorie deficit of 17,500 calories in a week. That is impossible. When you operate at a calorie deficit your body can slow your metabolism to try to protect its weight. Your body tends to operate at set points regarding your weight. Once you reach a certain weight your body will try to keep itself at that weight by lowering your metabolism if you have a substantial calorie deficit. The most important factor in losing weight is your metabolism. You can increase your metabolism by exercise.

1 Like

They say the slower you lose it the more chance you’ll not put it back on :watermelon:

I am on Risperdal also - my weight loss has been slow and steady as of late.

Over a one year period I have lost over 35 pounds, but now its been slow going.

At least I am not gaining - got to look at the up side to things

2 Likes

Butter weighs pretty much the same as body fat - you’ve lost this much - when you see it you can appreciate how much it is. Keep going - one day at a time. :cherries:

5 Likes

You’re doing awesome man, don’t give up. Losing too fast isn’t healthy. I’ve only found one diet where I drop weight at the rate you did, and the expense and lack of food selection made me crazy. I’m back to trying to lose 10 lbs a month, and that’s fine. I’m going to do it with lots of exercise. Even if I don’t wind up skinny, I’ll still be a lot fitter, and I can live with that.

Do you use a site like www.myfitnesspal.com ??

Pixel.

2 Likes

I don’t tend to use weight loss sites though I browse them occasionally. Not calorie counting but trying to eat less.

I was going to pound three of my very VERY good homemade cinnamon sticky buns for breakfast this morning. Then I remembered I would have to log them. So I settled for a single sticky bun and I’m now about to hit my aerobics step (fantastic bang for your buck exercise equipment) to work it off. I find the calorie tracking helps limit my consumption. MFP is – in my opinion – the best one. There’s also SparkPeople.com, but it’s overrun with morbidly obese, neurotic, poodle owning housewives. Best avoided if you’re the type who saves hell for AFTER he dies.

Pixel.

Note: Me baking is kind of on the same level as Superman owning a Kryptonite sno cone maker. Dammit.

1 Like

Most things I read about dieting say you should pick a diet where you lose 1 to 2 1/2 lbs a week and no more.

1 Like

How did you loose weight nick?

The Dukan Diet. It’s basically low-carb, high protein, with almost unlimited vegetables and also NON-FAT dairy products. You can google it to get details. It sounds restrictive but there are actually hundreds or recipes for great dishes made especially for this diet.

You know, lifting can convert fat into muscle. Don’t believe when people tell you that’s impossible, it happens all the time, it is just incredibly grueling. This bodybuilder Kris Gethin nearly patented a program which makes it happen DRAMATICALLY, like from pudgy to ripped.

2 Likes

Are you still on it?

Yes. I didn’t follow some simple guidelines and I gained a some weight back so I’m starting over.