Types of schizophrenia

I have Undifferentiated schizophrenia (at least thats what I think its called in english, sorry english is my second language so I´m not completely sure with the terminology)
I´ve done some research, on danish sides, that tells me that Paranoid schizophrenia is the most common type out of all the types on the spectrum. I´ve also noticed that Paranoid schizophrenia is the only thing people talk about on the spectrum, at least on danish forums, and it had me wondering if it was like that in other countries too? Because right now, as things are in danish forums (i´m mostly on tiktok and youtube), there’s no places i really completely feel understood in my diagnosis.
I was also wondering if there was more places that talked about Undifferentiated schizophrenia from a persons living with it kinda POV, so i can learn more about it.
i´m aming to start posting more about having Undifferentiated schizophrenia, in case others in Denmark, have the same feelings as me, where they have no really source of information from other palces that has the definition of schizophrenia types.

(I´m so sorry if this is in the wrong place to post it, the categories confuses me a bit)
Thank you if you read this far and another thank you if you comment on it, it means a lot

4 Likes

Your in the right place to talk about schizophrenia. I personally am paranoid sz so I can’t really answer your question but I know there are different types of sz.

I had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and then schizoaffective depressive type. But since here in America they don’t use sub types of schizophrenia anymore, they have an updated dsm here. But i hope you stay! You are more than welcomed!

2 Likes

I was originally diagnosed as Disorganized Schizophrenia but my DX was changed to Paranoid as I improved.

1 Like

Original dx was undifferentiated , then paranoid , then schizoaffective

I believe that the close majority of people on this website are diagnosed with schizoaffective type sz.

1 Like

Hi @safran from a fellow dane.

I have never heard of undifferentiated schizophrenia, either in Denmark or elsewhere. I googled it (im obsessed with diagnoses and terminology) and found this;,.

“Undifferentiated schizophrenia is an outdated term for a type of schizophrenia in which a person meets the criteria for the disorder but cannot be classified into just one of its four subtypes. While undifferentiated schizophrenia is no longer listed in the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), some healthcare providers still use the term.”

My diagnosis is undifferentiated schizophrenia. I believe I got this dg because my symptoms were not from only one category of schizophrenia.

I don’t know do they use this diagnosis anymore. I got this dg 16 years ago. I’m from Finland.

@safran hello and welcome back.

The best thing is to discuss the diagnosis with your doctor or medical team. After all they are the ones who diagnosed you. Find out what they meant.

You may of course share here your symptoms and treatment plan, so we can compare.

As far as I know, paranoid schizophrenia consists mostly of positive symptoms (hallucinations, paranoia) and less negative or cognitive symptoms. Undifferentiated schizophrenia has a bit more of each category (with the possible exception of catatonia). Disorganized schizophrenia has a worse prognosis and its trademark symptom is incoherent thoughts and speech. Catatonic schizophrenia is when your body sometimes enters a rigid state and you even lose touch with reality for a while.

Yeah i did read that too when i googled it in english, however, here in denmark, we do still very much use these different types of schizophrenia. It´s quite funny to learn the way healthcare providers works with diagnosis in diffrent countries. Because i had no idea that is was considered outdated in the states

I´ve tried discussing this with my doctor at the psychiatric hospital I´m currently hospitalized at ( I´m so sorry if there´s a better way to say this, do hope you understand what I mean), however they only tell me the standart things i can read online. What I´m missing is not the doctors professinal opinion upon it, I´m more thinking of how it affects people diagnosed with it and learn the more in depth the coping skills only people living with it can give

2 Likes

Yeah that´s exactly what i´ve been told too.
Can i ask you how you deal with it and if you in periods of times experiences different symptoms from the different types? please tell me if i need to explain better

I have paranoid schizophrenia. It’s very painful.

I think there is a microchip in my brain and people read my mind and make fun of me accordingly. I also think the government is out to kill me.

Well, right now I’m feeling pretty good and I have a very effective medication. But I suffer of symptoms that are similar to dissociation,but are symptoms of schizophrenia. It’s pretty difficult at times.

Im not sure I can answer this. I have schizoaffective, Im more so affected by depressive lows and lack of motivation. I drink coffee and try to do things to stimulate my mind. I grew up without any flaws in socialization or in studying and was considered book smart.

I hope you find what you’re looking for to answer your questions.

They quit dignosing types at least where i am (US). But i was diagnosed when they still were. When i was at my worst i was diagnosed with disorganized schizophrenia and whenni was at my best it was paranoid schizophrenia. Now they just say schizophrenia.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.