• Hebephrenic schizophrenia
  • Catatonic schizophrenia
  • Undifferentiated schizophrenia
  • Residual schizophrenia
  • Simple schizophrenia
  • Other, including ‘cenesthopathic’ schizophrenia
  • I don’t have schizophrenia

0 voters

I hope I’m not the only person who thinks the current categories for this disease are inadequate to describe the diversity of our experience. Some say schizophrenia might just be a blanket categorization of 8 or more different illnesses. The DSM needs updating and doctors need to gain a real understanding of our diversity. If we stop lumping everything into the PANSS, that will be a day when treatment for our ilness will take another crucial step forward.

7 Likes

I’m undifferentiated, and it bugs me. It feels so lazy. It’s like, we didn’t know where else to put you, so we’ll just stick you here for now.

1 Like

I have been initially diagnosed with MDD with severe psychotic symptoms

Where’s Schizoaffective?

Interesting, no one yet with catatonic or hebephrenic, is it because they are rare or because they are very disabling?

1 Like

It’s a good question

I know of two users who experience catatonia, and we have a few who fall into the disorganized category. I don’t know if those are their official diagnoses, though.

2 Likes

I didn’t know there was a “Simple Schizophrenia” That strikes me as funny. Is there a simple, uncomplicated version? :blush:

1 Like

I didn’t know either, I just found on the Internet lol

1 Like

I have schizophrenia spectrum.Can someone tell me the difference?? I would be happy to know,thanks!!

Were you recently diagnosed? Doctors are starting to move away from the subcategories and just call it all “schizophrenia spectrum disorder” because it’s more accurate. There are dozens of different ways to experience schizophrenia, and only a few subcategories.

2 Likes

They told me Psychosis, severe anxiety, chronic insomnia and delusions, cant get anything else out of the shrink going through tons of Dr visits therapy appointments etc right now to pinpoint whats really going on.

I was freezing up on and off for a month sometimes a couple hours at a time but don’t really remember doing it the Dr thinks it was the anti depressant I was on they took me off of it and it stopped happening so I guess she was right :slight_smile:

1 Like

whats hebephrenic?..

Disorganized schizophrenia is one of five subtypes of schizophrenia. Also known as hebephrenic schizophrenia, this particular subtype often has a poor prognosis. As the name suggests, it is characterized by disorganized behavior and speech, as well as disturbances in emotional expression.

2 Likes

I have the brother of schizophrenia its called schizoaffective

Is there a big difference? Theyre still trying to diagnose me

I’ve had just about every symptom of SZ aside from depersonalization. I was catatonic a lot in college in 2007 when I was breaking up with my abusive boyfriend. I was diagnosed under the DSMV, so it is just SZ. I mostly get paranoia, so I checked paranoid SZ.

How was your experience of catatonia?