Therapy For Cognitive Impairments Associated With SZ And ADHD

I’m stuck in a loop it seems like. I can’t focus or retain information anymore, and I have no motivation to do anything, and really the only help was Adderall. Now when I take the Adderall, it counteracts the antipsychotics it seems, and my positive symptoms get worse, like exponentially worse. So, while Adderall treats my ADHD well, I can’t take it really, or else my psychotic symptoms get worse.

I’m in a conundrum it seems, and so when I see my therapist Monday, I’m going to ask for therapeutic techniques to overcome my cognitive impairments and ADHD. He helped me with my trauma, so I’m hoping for more of the same with this. So, I pose this question: does anyone have experiences with this type of therapy?

3 Likes

I don’t have experience with therapy, but by persevering with school work I’ve improved my ability to retain info and focus in general.

1 Like

@John_Raven

I recommend aerobic exercise.

I have a recumbent stationary bike in my office that I ride every other day. Helps with many things. I still have to ride the bike, so it requires dedication, not motivation which comes and goes.

I hope the therapy helps with your cognitive symptoms and ADHD.

1 Like

Yes I plan on going back to the gym soon. I’ve lost a hundred pounds in the last year, so I need to lose 60 more, and so I’m going back to exercise.

3 Likes

I posted about some of these impairments i think if you search adhd it will pop up.

Look up russell barkley on youtube hes a retired professor he is awesome for this stuff.

1 Like

Found it. I labelled it executive dysfunction.

Which encompasses cognitives issues for both schizophrenia and adhd.

1 Like

Thanks, @LevelJ1, your willingness to help means a lot. This is super important to me, as I plan on having a career after my church mission. I’m hoping to become an electrician as I already have two summers worth of experience in it.

1 Like

Thats awesome man you can do it. Happy to help :blush:

1 Like

Russell Barkley advocates medication. That’s what I got from his series on Cognitive Disengagement Syndrome.

It was Strattera or something I guess.

I think @Garbled was getting biofeedback therapy for cognitive impairment if I remember correctly. Biofeedback works for ADHD as well I think.

1 Like

Yeah he recommends medication and creating “scaffolding/foundation” so that you can function.

The foundation doesnt stick if you dont have the medication and meds without the foundation is mediocre at best.

2 Likes

Biofeedback/neurofeedback is pseudoscience and not an established treatment for adhd

1 Like

Russ Barkley was paid consultant for Novartis, Eli Lily and others. So no conflict of interest there.

If you guys want check work of neuropsychologist Alice Medalia. Focus of her work has been cognitive remediation across all psychiatric disorders. She has done research on cognitive effects of psychiatric meds so promotes meds as well. I found her work has broad implications. Doesn’t seem to focus excessively on meds.

Taking methylphenidate or amphetamine salts aggravates psychosis. Russ Barkley promotes Atomoxetine (Strattera). SNRI.

William E. Pelham who was child psychologist he had taken matter to court to make sure kids were offered psychotherapy for ADHD as first line of treatment before being prescribed meds. Those psychotherapies ?might work for adults.

1 Like

Amfetamine maybe is danger you can ask your doctor if can prescribe you maybe non stimulant like stratters or another stimulants like concerta i take concerta 18 mg and my positive is under control

2 Likes