I asked a cognitive therapist

but she declined saying that nothing helps a schizophrenic. what should i do? I thought cognitive therapy is beneficial to our condition.

1 Like

is she right or she just couldn’t handle my case?

I find it very strange because therapy can help anyone. I’m not sure if it can help with the disease but it can help you cope with it

3 Likes

that’s what I thought.

Probably she couldn’t handle but it is true that you can’t treat sz with it but only improve some symptoms if they are caused by unhealthy behaviors.

1 Like

The only psychiatrists I see are the ones that will talk for an hour so they do both therapy and medication. I wouldn’t have it any other way

1 Like

with my doc we talk for an hour if needed. but other times we only talk for 15min. I miss my previous doc who was like a therapist too.

1 Like

some people here have a therapist. it helps, doesn’t it?

1 Like

We use a cognitive therapist weekly to help maximize success in coping with symptoms, we didn’t start though until we were out of full crisis mode. my impression is the goal isn’t to make a person not have symptoms, but it can help things not escalate. We have had some good ones (understand the limitations of the therapy) and some awful ones (try to focus on that everything is controllable, when clearly it is not). I would look for a recommendation for a good one or at least one that has more experience in the issues.

1 Like

I have a therapist and she does help me a bit despite my general distrust of people in her profession. But I’m appalled that the therapist you went to said that. If you ask my opinion she’s probably extremely undertrained for people with our condition. So I’d just try a different therapist if I were you. Cause therapy can help! I wish you luck.

2 Likes

I wish I find a good therapist…

1 Like

You can don’t give up yet!! If you can it’s good to call in advance and ask them if they have experience with sz!

1 Like

that’s what I’m gonna do. thx

3 Likes

Are you referring to CBT @Om_Sadasiva?

yes @Tomasina! 1515

she said there’s no evidence that cognitive therapy helps schizophrenics…

1 Like