The Vegetarian/Vegan Thread just for the F—- of it

If you are vegetarian/vegan -

Share anything you have. Thoughts, Ideas, Recipes.

What you eat? Show it off.

Cool vegetarian/vegan products you discovered.

4 Likes

My daughter is dating a vegetarian, so I’m having to learn some alternate cuisine to accommodate him when he’s visiting.

4 Likes

That’s great that you are so accommodating. I think you might find vegetarian dishes quite amazing.

There are two approach to vegetarian dishes.
Dishes made with all vegetables and non meat products but making the vegetables shine.

Or meat substitutes and making normal meat dishes with them.

3 Likes

Two interesting natural meat substitutes are cauliflower and jackfruit.

Cauliflower can taste like chicken if you can believe that.
Jackfruit can taste like a red meat substitute.

3 Likes

I tried the Impossible stuff and I gotta be honest - it tastes like a chemical spill to me. I have a very refined palette. A person can do a lot with vegetables and fruit and that’s fine. I’m a non-drinker who doesn’t like to be around drinking, so I try to be equally accomodating to a vegetarian guest in my home. Kind of rude to slam a roast down in front of them.

3 Likes

Do you consider yourself - having some culinary skills? What do you think you would make for dinner? Without meat. Or the meat dishes could not be so offensive as slabs of steaks while he gets a salad.

1 Like

I originally trained as a chef. I was badly injured some months after earning my journeyman’s ticket and could no longer continue in that career. The schizophrenia walloping me at roughly the same time was not helpful.

2 Likes

Im not a vegetarian but only eat meat two or three times a week. My favourite veggie dish (i think i have posted it before) is chopped walnuts, parsley with pasta.

You fry chopped walnuts with half a clove of garlic in (real) butter and oil, perhaps some grated lemon peel, just before serving you add lot of chopped parsley and a splash of lemon juice. pour over a good dried pasta and serve with grated parmesan.

I also like a spinach lasagne. You can googl it.

Or a simple dish with french toast with cheese, fried tomato, and fried egg and fried potatos from yesterdays dinner. Served of course with ketchup. A hearty meal.

4 Likes

@bluebutterfly Definitely dishes anyone can enjoy. Thanks. Sounds yum.

I been making simple dishes since covid and have actually gained some understanding of cooking. Like proper pots pans. Cooking temperatures.

Adding some lemon peel and juice sound simple to add to a recipe. I never had it with a pasta dish.

1 Like

just the basics, nothing fancy.
I eat meat though, sometimes,
so I wouldn’t call myself that.

2 Likes

yeah, lemon zest is great over blueberry muffins
with a little bit of sugar sprinkled on top.

3 Likes

@Daze I been buying blueberry muffins. Sounds like an easy way to elevate them.

2 Likes

yeah, if you got the bigger stand up grater,
the lemon turns out kinda curly too,
very appealing.
I give a lot of mine to my family,
before they go bad.

1 Like

I’ve heard though, anything bread related
shouldnt be put in the fridge.
longer life on the counter.

1 Like

@daze

I am so confused by this. Sometimes i leave it out sometimes i put them in the fridge. Bread. Cake. Muffins. Esp Bread I find mold but not sure how long they been out or in.

How is that possible.

I discovered versatile wraps. Made of egg whites. For almost anything. Not vegan. I been using it as crepes substitute - but it can be wraps, even quesadilla.

well, you can always freeze a loaf
until you’re ready for it.
I’m not really sure about the life of it.
Phil eats a lot of bread,
so go thru it quickly.
and biscuits seem to last on the counter.

2 Likes

Maybe leaving it out - makes it taste better if you can get through them fast
Fridge might ruin them but keep them longer.

1 Like

TROOOOTH.

The starch in bread will recrystalize at the lower temps. Leaves you with gross, stale bread.

3 Likes

I come off meat. I rarely eat meat. Usually i ate meat on a daily basis, but these days maybe around once a week. I loved my steaks, but i simply can’t afford meat anymore. I just eat meat occasionally to avoid healthcomplications as i ate meat all my life.

2 Likes