The reason why you do not give up

Because when I got diagnosed at age 19 I made the rounds of hospitals and group homes. I had crazy, racing thoughts with a big helping of delusional thinking on top of i like a cherry on a banana split. About a month after being diagnosed it started my craving for peace of mind. It was an illusive goal. Sometimes I felt like I was close to it but it always eluded me. I thought of it a lot(among other things). Well, better late than never right? I’m 56 and I started finding peace of mind a few years ago. I have it often. And often my my mind gets quiet. i just sit up and relax and experience it. I let the feeling grow and I am in the moment. Even at age 35 i was getting a little peace. But now, I can relax. And its because I didn’t give up.

38 Likes

I’m 58, and I’m gaining a little peace myself. God knows I have my failings, but I came by them honestly. I was sick.

6 Likes

I didn’t know I was sensitive to being called a quitter but I am.

6 Likes

I’m only 17 and felt like giving up many many times. But I didn’t, and things worked out.

5 Likes

There have been plenty of times I have felt like giving up. There were plenty of times in recent years that I plotted to hang myself to end all of this. Hell, I even had the rope at one point and was taking walks on the trail that ran behind my former apt building, looking for the right branch. I never did fully give up, though, I persevered through hell and now, at 37 years old, I feel like I finally have my life coming together again. I haven’t experienced this kind of feeling since my long healthy period of 2005-2008, most of which time I was a graduate student. Life can get better if you do not give up on it. It’s entirely possible I will one day become very sick again, but I will battle through it if and when that time comes.

3 Likes

Im36 and getting worse.hoping as I age it gets better

2 Likes

Conditioning. My late father was a WWII vet and a career NYPD police officer, and I was in the U.S. Navy.

I wake up to three alarm clocks: an electric alarm clock, a battery alarm clock, and a wind-up alarm clock. They’re all set for 6:00 AM, but I can wake up anytime I want. It’s pure conditioning.

5 Likes

I keep telling myself life is worth living. Things aren’t so bad. Schizophrenia is not the end of the world. Maybe the end of a regular life, not the end of life. That and I tell myself I should continue for the 1 in 10 that didn’t because I think I understand why they gave up. It keeps me thinking I should live because I know how it feels. I can’t quite explain it.

9 Likes

If I stick around long enough, the chances of my life improving get better, besides, I don’t really have anywhere else to go that I like better.

4 Likes

10 Likes

Another perfectly inspirational post from my forum hero @77nick77

2 Likes

Because rehab is for quitters

3 Likes

I once halfheartendly tried to end my life. Thankfully I called someone for help in time in a panic, if I hadn’t made the call I prob wouldn’t be here now, or I’d be really messed up
I still get depressed. And life has its problems. But I’m grateful for every day and I take each day as it comes my grateful since Iv spent time with family since then and I wouldn’t have otherwise. My troubles I was facing weren’t quite as big and unfathomable as I thought and now I have faced them and taken care of my battles, I’m grateful for that. More time with my kitty. Sunshine. And I’m grateful for another summer crab season under my belt in a place I never fished myself before that is so far successful. The full pots were exiting so much I was hyperventilating. After 2 years of grinding on poor catch and bad health my efforts have paid off. I’m grateful now to be around for had I been successful at taking my own life I wouldn’t have had all that. Life is good even when it’s miserable. When we are feeling down it’s impossible to realize that but now I look at suicide and say who was I to try to call it quits?? It’s not my time until nature says so.

2 Likes

I told my dad that I was giving up smoking, and he said shaking his head back and forth,
“My daughter, the quitter.”

3 Likes

I’m constantly thinking “nothing’s a struggle, but everything’s a challenge.” I push my self knowing that I’ll get a little bit better everyday. And I keep myself in the mindset knowing that the struggle doesn’t get left behind, it comes right along with me. Keeping up right along next to me and growing stronger as I get stronger. And I keep pushing myself a little bit farther everyday because I know I’ll be better.

Slowly, everyday I get better.

5 Likes

When the mind is too peaceful you are a corpse…

2 Likes

I think the reason I still carry on is because of my hubby and parents. Because I cant imagine hurting them. And because I fear I may go to hell if I commit suicide. And maybe because I’m too scared to kill myself. But mostly because of my loved ones.

3 Likes
  1. Family
  2. Sense of duty to give something back to the human race
  3. Great hope for the future
1 Like

at the start after i was diagnosed my parents who are holocaust survivors were my inspiration.

now things are quite a bit better and i don’t even consider quitting.

judy

5 Likes

Because I never give up, I’m like a pit bull. Rock on

4 Likes