For how long have you been living with sz and what kept you going?

I had symptoms since I was 35 but got diagnosed at 42. I’m now 48 which means I’ve been living with sz for the past 13 years. I don’t know how I’ve coped through all this time but I did. I wish I could plan ahead like I used to before I got ill. I’d like to hear what your coping strategies were to survive. As far as I’m concerned I try to take things day by day. When I feel good I enjoy the moment. When I feel bad I try to think of the good times and that seems to pull me through until I feel better or get help.

2 Likes

i have had it since i was 20 i am 28 now.i am like u i try to take things day to day.

1 Like

I was diagnosed when I was 16 I’m 26 now and no longer seem to have schizophrenia but maybe bipolar. What helped me was faith in God and taking a more rigid non violent path somewhat spiritual by studying Buddhism and Carl Jung whose techniques helped me overcome irrational thinking.

1 Like

You have an interesting approach. It was also my faith in God that kept me going through my unmedicated phase. Once I started to use meds I turn cold towards religion. I’m very glad to hear that you may not have schizophrenia anymore. Keep doing what you’re doing as you are an asset to this forum and I like to read your posts.

1 Like

I was first sick when I was 22 and now I’m 27. My partner kept me going.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much it. I am not sz; I am bipolar with psychotic features, relatively under control now, tough still pretty impulsive and paranoid when sufficiently stressed. I use a lot of CBT, MBSR, DBT, ACT, MBBT and other psychotherapies to keep “me” going… and the disease (which is not “me”) “over there.”

4 Likes

Thank you so much! That made me feel really good to read that you like my posts. I’m not religious anymore but I do believe in God. Just talking to God helps me and faith that he is listening.

1 Like

You are very fortunate to have a partner. I’m very happy for you.

Thank you, she was the one who forced me to get help when I was really bad off.

1 Like

Yes we are not the illness. You have so much knowledge and insight. I wish you all the best with your therapy.

I either have bipolar with lots of paranoia when stressed or schizoaffective disorder - pdocs are confused Im sure.

I had different symptoms as a kid/teen but first diagnosed by an adult psychiatrist when I was around 20 years old - I am now 51 years old, so thats a lot of years.

I dont really know what keeps me going, but I have managed over the years

2 Likes

Wow @Wave you come a long way. I’m glad you are with us.

1 Like

I started really crumbling when I was 14 but got my diagnosis when I was 17… I’m 30 now.

It’s been 13 years for me.

what’s kept me going is definitely the support of my family…

and the fact that when I did get med compliant and agree to therapy… and other help…

I tried to make today better then yesterday… and try to make tomorrow better then today…

Also… I started to simplify my goals… I find I can face more and take on more of life when I keep it simple.

3 Likes

I count my first encounter with mental illness from when I was 15. I am now 56, so that means I have lived with it for 41 years. My strategy always was to put minimal effort into daily maintenance and basic survival skills. If it hadn’t been for my family, I probably would have ended up on the street a long time ago.

1 Like

I’ve had it since I was 18, am 22. Three and a half years. I am…militant. I always wanted to be in SEALs, always wanted that tattoo with the trident and eagle and stuff on my arm, always wanted to fight. This is a fight.

2 Likes

That is good news, good on you!.

1 Like

I got diagnosed when I was 19. I’m 54 now, so it’s been 35 years. I pretty much take as it comes, I have no single trick or coping strategy that I can whip out on demand when things get tough. I take my medication as prescribed, I have always had family support. Having friends in the past really helped. I’m under a lot of stress now so I joined a support group today. I go over my sisters house for dinner once a week. I see a psychiatrist and a therapist. I let people help me. I just do what I can.

1 Like

Oh and I take a lot of meds. An antipsychotic, a benzodiazapine, a beta-blocker, a proton pump ihibitor, melatonin, nicotine patch, and caffeine or else I can’t function. Nicotine helps with the cognitive deficits- it helps me concentrate and keeps my train of thought on the rails, otherwise it runs amok. I also go to a therapist twice a month.

1 Like

@crimby and @77nick77 you are both amazing and such an encouragement to me. I’m happy for both of you that you had families that were there for you.
I’ve been anti-therapy since I got medicated because I was ill for so long and had therapy for so long before my diagnosis. …but I guess Nick you have the right approach to add therapy to the treatment plan. I’ll give it some serious thought again.

It is nice to have the support of friends and family.
:grinning: