The diabetes thread

I have been being lazy lately and not checking my blood sugar much. Since I have a doctors appt for diabetes coming up, and my doctor is going to want to see my blood sugar logs, I started checking more often and logging. My recent results have not been great. Seem to be between 150 and 240 generally. Fairly high.

What are your average blood sugar readings if you are diabetic? I’m interested to know other diabetics averages.

Also, does anyone know at what level you are at higher risk of nerve damage? Probably something I could look up on internet, but posing the question anyway.

2 Likes

That’s high, but not too bad. You could probably get better readings by simply adjusting your diet, if you don’t want insulin. What is your fasting in the mornings? At my worst, when I got DKA, my sugars were in the high 300s.

1 Like

I’ve only taken a few morning readings since I started taking again, but they have been in the 150 to 160 range or so.

That’s too high for fasting. They should be in the low 100s or 90s. Ideally. But I really think if you adjusted your diet a little it would improve enough. Nerve damage usually occurs during prolonged poorly uncontrolled diabetes, like 300 and 400 readings for a long time. As long as you keep a close eye on your sugar levels, you shouldn’t have to worry too much. Best get to charting. Lol

1 Like

Thanks for the advice and info @anon55031185 !

My sugar level has dropped and stuck at 107 to 129, I visited doc when it was 430 after being diabetic for 5 years… i am just on meds no insulin, doc said try this new med and work out, its working out well.
At high level of sugar my palm became numb and senseless.
Expensive med though glyxambi 25/5

Edit: And yes Hb A 1 was 10.4

2 Likes

Thanks for your story @X_Y_Z . 107 to 129 sounds like a pretty good range.

1 Like

I can only visit your club, not join it. I’m borderline diabetic but I fear that at my dr appt tomorrow I will get bad news, it’s just a feeling I have.

1 Like

Yes it was at this range with metformin 500 mg, *too…
After 5 years i did not follow a strict rule, and now on expensive meds.

*edit

1 Like

I wish I could take a diabetic med, but cannot with the history of pancreatitis. I’m stuck with insulin only now. Kinda sux.

1 Like

Sorry about that @anon55031185 . Yeah, I would prefer to not be on insulin myself. I take Metformin and Glipizide.

we have a diabetic dog, her name is Rooroo…most diabetic dogs usually die our vet said within four years of being diagnosed but she is going on five years. I hope she lives and lives…

2 Likes

Nice name rooroo…

1 Like

@X_Y_Z it’s the sound she makes when she barks slowly…rooooo roooooo. haha

2 Likes

I would like to say that my average runs in the 120s

I’m on 2 different diabetes meds

My last A1C level was 5.7

I was pleased with this result

1 Like

I never take my daily blood sugar.

Over the last 2-3 years my A1Cs have always been in the low to mid 6s. So it’s stable.

I’m on 2000mg metformin (1000mg twice a day) and 10mg Forxiga

1 Like

IDK how accurate it was, but a past primary doctor had an infographic on her wall that said damage starts to happen above 140.

1 Like

wow, thats not that high. I hope thats not right. thanks for your input @Blossom

1 Like

My fasting blood glucose is always too low and it makes me feel dizzy, shaky, weak and nervous/irritable. I hate it. I wish Drs take me seriously but they don’t know whats wrong with me, they just told me to eat more which is making me gain weight, I am 310lb now, before meds and sz I was 135-140lb.

1 Like

I measured my blood sugar when my dizziness happens and last time it was 72. Its weird that it only goes this low in the afternoon. In morning fasting blood test last time it was 84. But idk why my a1c is 5.8%. Anyone knows why my blood glucose is low but my a1c is high?

1 Like