Should I try Vraylar?

I’m taking zyprexa right now and am having success with it, and I love that it makes me gain a little weight which is nice. But I really want to see if vraylar gives me more energy/motivation. What would you do? Stick with someone that works or take the risk and try something new?

1 Like

Vraylar also causes weight gain. Everything causes it except geodon.

1 Like

Oh that’s good to know. I heard it was like geodon/abilify and I didn’t gain weight on either of those (although geodon was an absolute nightmare and abilify was too sedating) but that makes myou decision a little easier. I do want to keep gaining weight I see it as a benefit (I’m very thin) but I really want better motivation

1 Like

Remember that Vraylar has one of the longest half lives of a non long acting injection, meaning it will take weeks to a month before it reaches a stable concentration in your system. At that point side effects should emerge (like weight gain for example).

Abilify makes me lose weight a lot.

1 Like

Abilify helps me lose weight and gives me energy.

2 Likes

I confirm that Abilify gives me energy too.

1 Like

Yes, you should try Vraylar. It has been the best medication for me. For me, it causes weight gain and insomnia. I take Trazodone for the insomnia. I could probably lose some weight if I ate healthier and exercised more. I think cogentin causes weight gain too. Risperdal is the second best medication for me.

I think Vraylar helps with negative symptoms but to what degree I don’t know.

1 Like

Thanks for all the information. And yeah abilify energized me at a certain dose but it made me super sleepy at higher doses.

abilify gives me energy too and i sleep less and that helps me feel less depression

1 Like

Be very careful.
I was on risperidone and took a risk (chance) and switched over to Vraylar.
Well it didnt work and I ended up going to the Hospital, twice within 2 months.

2 Likes

I agree with @Wave. Stick to what you know! :smile:

1 Like

My son was on Zyprexa for 2 years until recently and he experienced no positive symptoms on it but he gained 160 pounds during those 2 years. He also had low motivation. Due to increasing physical issues due to weight gain, he switched to Vraylar 6 weeks ago and titrated off of Zyprexa.

His negative symptoms disappeared while on Vraylar. He loves it and could concentrate and had motivation. He also was not hungry all the time like when he was on Zypreza. So he was also losing weight. We were so hopeful.

Well, after two years of no delusions, they have come back and he has been hospitalized for 4 days now. He is back on Zyprexa and waiting to become stable again.

I am not sure why Vraylar works for some people and not others.

1 Like