Schizophrenia Research Roundup: April 12, 2024

‘‘In this Research Roundup, we explore new studies on schizophrenia, including associated biological age acceleration and risk, as well as relationships between the disorder, gut microbiota, and the right superior frontal gyrus’’.

7 Likes

Yeah unfortunately the sciences have no grasp or even a basis to functionally describe schizophrenia… neurologically speaking.

I do think within a decade though the mechanisms of psychosis will be better documented via deeper neurological imaging/neural implants…

they mention a new drug in your link which sounds like it might be the night and day difference for some folk

… but yeah schizophrenia is handled as a non-degenerative life long illness that can only be managed by medications that were more or less accidentally discovered to have efficacy… questionable efficacy in my mind.

speculating but fear is one of the few emotions that don’t have a neurological counterpart… and in speaking of schizophrenia/psychosis I more mean paranoid/delusional side of things.

Fear is an operation of the R-complex… hallucinations occur in similarly low level systems… thinking this is a dopaminergic issue is pretty blasphemous and renders people with a lot of negative side effects when its treated as such.

To me it seems more like the more mammalian elements of the brain are failing to regulate the impulses of the reptilian core. It’s also highly psychological.

Really a quintessentially bizarre thing schizophrenia is… it sits right at the crux of so many philosophical issues.

The cure needs to be mechanical… but searching for a cure leads one right into contemplations of things that aren’t mechanical at all.

I’m disappointed that the docs really dont have a clue… but the nature of schizophrenia is one of the deepest mysteries in life. The sciences have to understand the brain itself to sort it out… and we stiil don’t.

Don’t let neural network AIs fool you… we absolutely don’t know what consciousness is…

4 Likes

Your comment is very good.
We have to be positive, after all, it is a matter of time before doctors perhaps accidentally find a more tolerable treatment for schizophrenia. Besides the cure of course.

2 Likes