Schizo-spectrum disorders and eating disorders

I understand!
Hmm… yeah, it’s a mystery. That’s why I made this thread; to see if anyone knows why schizo-spectrum disorders and eating disorders are so common.

1 Like

Funny you should mention that. Brekkie was one egg, some egg white, and 1/2 cup of frozen spinach mixed together and nuked. Lunch will be steak and green tossed salad. I got pizza yesterday because it was a cheat day.

I would say I obsess over food more than I crave it.

Just thinking about options, timing, calories, etc…

I don’t want to eat all the time, but I’m constantly stressed about food.

1 Like

Yeah idk the carb values of those besides pizza. But protien, specifically meat protien, is hard to digest and leaves you fuller for longer. That’s actually a really good diet you have their though. Do you take any vitamins?

This thread is making me hungry. sigh I wish I had a potato…boss tater, why have you fired me!!

1 Like

Go eat. Food is fuel! :joy:

1 Like

When I was in my teens and early twenties, I suffered from first anorexia and then, bulimia. It had a stranglehold on me. I finally freed myself from it when my son was two years old and he needed constant watching. Suddenly, I didn’t have the luxury of indulging in binging and purging anymore. I had to watch him. So, I made the conscious decision to quit. And it worked.

3 Likes

Daily multivitamin, sarcosine, fish oil, and probiotics from home brewed coleslaw (mainly for my diverticular disease). I’ve tried probiotic pills and they work, but are expensive. I’m a bit lactose intolerant so too much yogurt is a problem. I find my gut levels out the same from the probiotics in the homebrew coleslaw as it does from the $100/mth pills.

I have also swapped out legumes for carbs wherever possible. I eat a lot of beans in place of mashed potatoes and rice now.

1 Like

Thanks, man!

I also think I’m pretty hot,

Despite her best efforts.

:grin:

She has my sanity, but damned if she takes my self esteem.

1 Like

I have swung back and forth between recovery and relapse for almost 7 years. How did you manage to recover? Any tips? :zipper_mouth_face:

I was actually thinking about this earlier!

I was thinking about how for some people, eating disorders may quite psychotic. For example, a lot of people with eating disorders refer to them as names (most commonly Ana or Mia) and say things like “Ana wouldn’t let me eat this” or “Ana wouldn’t let me enjoy this”.
When I was in the depth of an eating disorder a few years ago, I used to talk to a lady in my mind every night and beg for her forgiveness for eating “too much” and promise her that I wouldn’t eat the next day. She would say that she would help me as long as I listened. Looking back, that is quite messed up… I’m glad that doesn’t happen any more!
I noticed that the lady in my head seemed like an echo of mean things my mum would say to me about my weight and diet…

1 Like

I told myself that if I got as big as a house, I wouldn’t care. I would just accept it. I steeled myself to that possibility. Lo and behold, it didn’t happen. I actually lost weight!!!

1 Like

Arturo is getting pics of hot chixors on the forum and I’m not? Now I feel REALLY old.

:sob:

FYI, didn’t mean to slight those here with eating disorders, it’s just that when you see someone who fits into the skinny jeans you covet complaining about their eating disorder, you can’t help but wish to trade problems. Humans are funky that way – grass is always greener…

3 Likes

I used to binge and purge a lot. For me it was like a bad habit and it started out I wanted to be able to eat more, but ended up I wanted to lose weight. Now sometimes I do it so I don’t feel sick after eating something that gives me a tummy ache like rich food. It feels so good to have an empty stomach but not be hungry emotionally, I could easily get sucked back in if I’m not careful with my cognition on the matter.

My daughter has a binging disorder, she absolutely won’t talk to me about. As far as I know, the kids are not aware of my purging because I never made a big deal out of it. But obviously they could have heard the retching. Also I had a best friend and a step daughter who had anorexia but neither of them would talk about it either.

1 Like

I was told that Bulimia, which I’ve struggled with for 30 years off and on, is often the result of having been molested, which I was. I have issues with food and crave food, etc., but when I binge/purge it has more to do with control.
Whether it’s common among sz to have an eating disorder is an interesting question. I haven’t been aware of that connection here on the forum. It seems that anxiety and depression are common factors. It would be interesting to see a study done on the ED connection…

2 Likes

I’ve heard that anorexia and especially bulimia is a symptom of schizophrenia in women.

1 Like

YES! Or “The voice of Ana/Mia won’t let go.”
I’ve never used these names to refer to my eating disorder(s), ever. The reason is because I wouldn’t want to give my eating disorder(s) some cute pet names, since it’s not cute at all. That’s why it pisses me off everytime someone refers to anorexia as “Ana”.

I think referring to as if anorexia has a “voice”, for most people, is a type of jargon that eating disordered people have. I don’t think they hear actual voices that they shouldn’t eat this or that. That’s another thing that makes me angry because it is usually not a voice, it’s an eating disordered THOUGHT.

But in your case, you actually seemed to have some psychotic features mixed with your eating disorder. So that is fully coherent! It’s just annoying when non-psychotic people with eating disorders refer to their thoughts as voices, because it’s not the same thing.

I’m glad you’re feeling better, eating disorder-wise! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree. It’s a very interesting question!
Have you recovered from your bulimia?

There is probably a lot of shame connected to their eating disorders, as you might know since you’ve suffered from eating disorders yourself, which is the reason why they won’t talk about it.

It is also genetic, so it’s not completely incomprehensible that your daughter suffer from an eating disorder, since you seem to have the genes, too. Stay strong! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wonder how much is influenced by genes and how much by environment. If you had the genetic makeup, but no one was critical of your body, and media influences were healthier, would you still manifest the disorder?

1 Like