Recovery - School and Work

I know that some members would like a category for this so the definition of this category has been updated to include school and work discussions. A bit of a meeting in the middle to accommodate this idea yet still keep the number of categories to a minimum.

This forum is for the active and supportive discussion and sharing of the strategies and resources for maximizing people’s recovery. For some this may include discussions regarding school and work.

4 Likes

The biggest thing I would like to say about school is to definitely take advantage of the student with disabilities office and see what accommodation can be offered.

@77nick77 gave me that advice and it’s been a life saver. I’ve been doing much better in school this second time around… and I’m really excited to think that getting this 2 year degree under my belt will help me get a better job.

This was an idea that never crossed my mind… in fact… I was told that due to my illness… the stress would do me in and I wouldn’t be able to handle school.

So I never tried… I was BLOWN away when I saw the school and work forum. I’m really glad I found this site.

1 Like

Wow, Surprised. I’m happy to see school is working out for you so well. I know it’s not easy. But you have managed to do it for quite awhile now. Kudos. I hope people on here are seeing you as an inspiration or an example of what’s possible. I’ve got a lot of work coming up in my class. Oh well. They say, " The journey of a thousand miles, begins with one step".

2 Likes

After all these years of working on recovery, the best thing I found for a stable mind is to talk out things with those in your life and online here on this forum. I have discovered more about myself by simply writing on here what I am thinking or doing. and then I read it later and go…“whoa, you sound delusional” or “just trying to help” comments. and I feel better. I really wish I would just stop drinking completely because I get wobbly in my thinking when I drink. Not good for psych meds for me on fluphenazine (prolixin) I’ve found. I think early on when I came out of my hardest times with depression and the lack of will to live I discovered Hope. Hope is very important I think to have in one’s life. No hope. No happiness. It could be a sunset that makes you feel whole, or tulips in a flower garden on a sunny day. The tulips are what got me to believing happiness is possible through Hope.

1 Like