Quitting smoking: the patch: experiences?

I have used the patch for standardized tests with no breaks, I want to quit again.

Anyone have experiences?

4 Likes

I started smoking again whilst I was using them. I gave up for about 18 months a few years ago cold turkey, but stress from studying brought me back.

I just put the 21mg patch on a few hours ago. I’m just sick of smoking.

I would quit without any replacements as you would just become addicted to the replacements.

I tried patches and always ended up smoking as well as wearing them. I smoke ecigs now, but it took me a year of finding the right ecig (innokin mvp20w battery, innokin iclear30s atomiser), to eventually knock out cigarettes. I use 24mg e liquid which is high.

1 Like

I prefer the gum to the patches. The patches are a steady stream - no real highs and lows. The gum has more of a loading high which for me mirrors my smoking habit more.

Been on gum for 4 days now. Still smoke like 3-4 cigs a day at the mo but hope to reduce that.

just stop doing it. IT ISNT AS HARD AS YOU THINK IT IS.

Patches gave me horrible nightmares.
I’ve had success with lozenges.
Good luck!

I quit once on the patch. It was relatively painless. The patches taper down the nicotine with out you needing to do anything. After 10 or 12 weeks I was free.

I find very painful to quit nicotine cold turkey.

I’m thinking of trying the patch again to quit the gum, despite remembered side effects.

I used this book and this was the best way for me.
it’s been over 4 years since I quit smoking.
This takes a little time but it works esp. if you would like to work on psychological reasons for smoking.

2 Likes

I have quit using the patch. Started again about 8 months later…

Don’t keep it on for 24 hrs. I used to take it off about 30-60 minutes before bed as having nicotine going through your system while sleeping can cause bad dreams.

I had my last cigarette on July 3, 2014. I used patches fo the first six weeks or so.

if you take a shower, the patch is likely to come off. If you work up a god awful sweat, the patch is also likely to come off. Then, one starts putting a new patch on at odd times and forgetting to replace the darn things.

The patch made it possible for me to stop, and I was a heavy smoker!

Jayster

1 Like

I committed a sin. I smoked my one and half cigarette today to calm my anxiety down.
I quit using the patches recently but I think this is going bad.

one cig is jack crap buddy.

Try cutting back on stimulants or booze if you drink, they increase nicotine cravings.

Exercise and keep your mind busy to distract yourself from the cravings.

I smoke a cigarillo once a day while on the 7mg patch lol its just healthier than a pack of coffin nails a day.

Nicotine is as addictive if not more addictive than heroin, no lie. I have heard that from people with PhD’s in psychology and also a biologist, that and the internet…reliable internet.

Wait I just discredited my own advice.

But I swear its on par with heroin. Dont lose your mind over one cig.

Man I still feel the relaxing effects of the cigarette now

And it was one of those with +/- 2mg of nicotine

A clove? I dont even know a cig with 2mg of nicotine…

There are here in Portugal one or two brands. A pack with 20 cigs.

Another cig. This time with more nicotine. I think it’s increasing and I’m relapsing. And I was going to buy a pack.

Flush the cigs down the toilet and buy some nicotine patches

i just fell down after being quit for six days…I give up for a while…I was in constant turmoil and I just couldn’t handle it. I am pitiful I feel. I don’t know when I’ll ever try again. it’s been a year of stopping and starting…too much stress other excuses…what a life I have.