Psychosis and intelligence

Do you guys know anything about the relationship between intelligence and psychosis? Are we more intelligent or less intelligent then normal people.
My sister is studying medicine and she was saying that we are more intelligent according to some lecture she had. What do you guys think?

5 Likes

I think we’re more intelligent until we have a psychotic break and then it all goes south after psychosis fries your brain. Just my humble opinion.

10 Likes

I think people are looking for a silver lining when they say this.

Psychosis doesn’t imply intelligence at all.

Maybe spiritual intelligence, but psychosis is really confusing. It takes ages to make head or tail of what’s going on.

4 Likes

I feel I could be a 2020 genius

4 Likes

I think as with any other illness, it improves other aspects, kinda making up for deficiencies.

2 Likes

Usually regular sz patients are less intelligent than overall population but there very high number of statistic show that people who has sz siblings are more tend to be succesful or creative

3 Likes
3 Likes

Schizophrenia is associated with a lower premorbid intelligence which drops even further right before illness onset. There’s lots of research showing this.

5 Likes

Yea sz reduced my grades in university and intelligence but not by too much. Like I am slightly under average in most areas but above average in others. Before sz symptoms I had top grades in science but not in language courses like french, english, history, philosophy, geography etc I was invited to math competitions in high school and college by teachers bcz my average was 95-98%.

I finished organic chemistry in college with 97%, got 99% in the final lol

3 Likes

Sz totally kicked my ass grades wise

2 Likes

I lost most of my mental and physical stamina after sz.

2 Likes

Then why did you get schizophrenia if you were this intelligent? Its contradictory to the science. I think its wrong to say that IQ can protect you from schizophrenia. We dont know how accurate this study was and i think it only contribute to more stigma. We got enough of that. Or maby its just the truth lol

2 Likes

Actually I read that sz affects more high IQ people.

1 Like

Smart ppl can get sick too. I am not as smart anymore though. Still good in math but forgot lots of it.

Neither more or less intelligent than ordinary people. Sz can cause negative symptoms that reduce interests in learning, but not IQ.

2 Likes

IQ doesnt measure social and emotional or creative intelligence. I dont believe that ppl with high intelligence are superior, everyone has his role in society and this world.

2 Likes

Cognitive symptoms are part of sz. Positive, negative and cognitive symptoms.

1 Like

Cognition is not all about IQ, there is many aspects that IQ doesnt measure.

3 Likes