POLL: Students gathering input for school projects on the forum

Not everyone knows what the term IRB means, I forget what the I stands for, but Research Board is the rest of it. Human subject research is supposed to be approved by the appropriate board.

Id say that’s not in scope for putting together a login on the forum to ask us questions unfortunately. :scream:

1 Like

Well, it doesnt matter if we know what the term means- it matters that we agree with other people knowing what we think. That is the real question being asked: “Can I see inside your head and publish it?”

We have a right to say NO

2 Likes

I think Minnie told me if you don’t like it don’t click it. That applies to answering student questions.

3 Likes

There is a problem with posting surveys online, esp on an anonomus forum. You don’t know who answers. It could be a mix of all illnesses in the results.

Also I really really dislike surveys forcing you to leave your email or anything else personal information. I’m too paranoid to fill those ones.

1 Like

That is absolutely sound advice- YES! That is the whole thing behind consent forms- it is the submission of information…with a parameter which should be made clear: the person giving consent knows their end of the deal, what is really going on, and is of sound mind…to keep the list concise!

Yes, if you dont want to do it, dont do it. Pretty simple…but sometimes things make us agree by force, which is very much open to debate, master debating. Doctor debating. Professor debating. Multiple courts debating. While the master debates whether it is a good boy or a naughty boy, the everlooming sky daddy, Zeus.

See, what I just said was half sound and half not, and could be real or made up, or mixed…it gets complicated really quick.

So…just know that you can always say “no” by not participating.

1 Like

A legitimate interview with a person experiencing disabilities will be done face to face,

I’ve had many over my kids over the years, and it is basically protocol.

1 Like

It’s funny how so many of us complain about people being ill informed, but then are reluctant to have them ask questions of us that would make them more informed.

4 Likes

@firemonkey. Does the U.K. Have an irb?

1 Like

IRB = Institutional Review Board - basically the legal board at a school or university that makes sure everything is above board and ethical.

Each university has one (where they are doing research). High schools won’t have them, nor will community colleges, etc. (typically)

4 Likes

Right, since the irb is with the school , how would you know (@SzAdmin of this forum). If the project passed and was approved by the university’s irb?

1 Like

http://www.hra.nhs.uk/research-community/before-you-apply/determine-which-review-body-approvals-are-required/

1 Like

There ya go, how does one student or one szadmin pass this scrutiny worldwide? Red tape . minni rule would apply, if you don’t like it don’t click on it.

Although the NIH is in the United States, which bring me back to some confusion I confessed to previously.

1 Like

http://www.who.int/ethics/research/en/

1 Like

I think they do it to promote understanding of the illness. I think we should be flattered they consider this place credible enough to come here to do research.

Most of them probably think we’re a bunch of raving lunatics with no insight into anything. It’s nice that the minority take this forum seriously, some of the stuff people post on here is just plain silly.

1 Like

I believe the owner and seller of advertising is the NIH in Bethesda Maryland, United States, not the World Health Organization.

My mom would say possession is 9 points of the law.

I believe the NIH follows the WHO, or vice versa, but still szadmin is in the U.S. perhaps the WHO should advertise. Www.schizophrenia.com and the forums.

1 Like

Education is good. But I’m still paranoid. I don’t answer surveys. I’ve done one irl interview with a student. That I can do. If I don’t know who is the reciever of the information that makes me uneasy.

There are two sides on this matter. Education is good. More people should know more about sz. Like we’re not rabid lunatics running down the street screaming and fighting with everyone. That COULD happen, but it will be like so rare it will happen once a year maybe. And 1 out of 100 people have sz. That is many many people. We are 9 million people in Sweden. That is 90 000 people with sz.

chanses are there are people with sz at their workplaces, school or other activities that they don’t know about.

1 Like

The bottom line is whether or not this is a support community? @SzAdmin carefully steers non-family members away from the Family support forum. Do those of us with Sz get the same consideration, or are we a nice plump fruit to be picked from a tree for students and health professionals? Making us a research opportunity stops making this a safe place to share for a significant portion of this community.

5 Likes

But it’s run my the National Institues of Health, a research organization.

@NiceHat What’s run by the NIH?

http://schizophrenia.com/

@Moonbeam. That website , Which has a link to here, and its what is called ‘our forum’. I found the forum after finding http://schizophrenia.com/.