Poll: Do Masks Help?

• Masks help prevent the spread of covid
  • No they don’t.

0 voters

I’m glad the overwhelming response is yes, so far. Anti-maskers amaze me.

1 Like

They did a Covid19 test on me last Thursday, and I’m waiting the results. My psychiatrist had some meds delivered to me Friday. When the delivery guy knocked on my door, I wasn’t expecting anyone and opened the door without my mask on. Hopefully he didn’t catch anything from me. Today when my primary care doctor sent some meds, I was expecting them and put my mask on when they were delivered.

2 Likes

Im not sure. I think they might help a bit, but i wonder if they work in the way they are currently used in my country. Simple cloth masks are used, and only in public transport. People use masks that they put on right before boarding without handwashing and wear multiple times. Often they take them off or half off in the train. Im honestly not sure if it works then.

If ppl wear them yes it helps. It blocks what comes out of your mouth and nose.

2 Likes

Im not sure how much it helps. A “breathable” single layer cloth mask with openings to the sides that you take on and off with your dirty hands (and perhaps even use with the nose free or completely off as soon as the guard is gone) and only use inside a train? Im not sure how much it blocks. It might prevent some transmission when you cough etc. I wear one in the train, but i genuinely dont know how much it helps. Not comparable to a decently worn surgical grade mask, i think.

my doctor’s office and other science agencies have information posted about how wearing a mask reduces infection rate, and if you and the person you’re next to have a mask, the risk is way lower.

i dont think doctors and scientists would lie to us or skew the facts

2 Likes

Could be. I dont necessarily believe doctors. I caught them lying or mistaken before many times. I do (somewhat) believe decent research studies. I would find it helpful if people showed me good research…also with the type of use we have here. I just think it is weird if (like here) everyone goes out to restaurants, shops, markets, friends, etc freely without a mask, hugging and chatting and wears only a dirty mask in a train. Im not unwilling to take measures…I just think: if you do something, you should do it right and get good information. When used like in my country, i feel it is ■■■■■■■■.

I did find study that says there is some protection with a (clean!) cloth mask, but that there is a lot of variance depending on material and use. I miss info right now about what material does and doesnt work, etc. I wish i would know more and had a good quality mask. And good studies, not just a doctor saying something.

Anyway, it isnt much of an issue here, so i really dont know.

So many ppl in London don’t wear it over their nose.

They might as well not be wearing it!

3 Likes

It’s simple, just wear a ■■■■■■■ mask out in public.
It’s an easy thing to do and it saves lives!

Anti maskers can go â– â– â– â–  themselves.
They are killing others.

Selfish idiots is what they are.

5 Likes

Masks make me feel less exposed, which makes me less paranoid in public.

5 Likes

I’m dating someone tomorrow. I feel kinda good to be wearing a mask as I’ve gained weight and stuff and would prefer them not to see my whole face for that reason lol.

1 Like

Im not an anti-masker…I wear one where it is required…but i think there is more nuance to it than calling people with no masks murderers.

It depends a lot on where you are. Our main national health institute (that advices the government on corona) says in their official information for the public that literature on this subject is divided and cloth masks have probably very limited effect. They say a lot depends on what mask and how it is worn and used. They dont recommend people wear one.

I really dont see how it would make me a selfish murderer if i, just like all the other people in my whole city of 130000 people, follow my government’s guidelines to not wear a mask.

Im especially worried if you wear them wrong, like not covering the nose, or re-using, they might create a false sense of security and make people less alert when it comes to other measures, e.g. distancing and quarantaine. Id hate to see someone who is ill go out “because it is safe with a mask”. They might help somewhat, and it is good to use them where it is recommended, but they are not 100% protective, so you shouldnt rely on it completely. If i have a cough i rather stay in than trust a mask.

I dont think it is as black-and-white as you state.

I would love to see research though that states my government is wrong…that would personally convince me much more than stating im a selfish murdering idiot for following our national guidelines.

Different mask types and their effectiveness. Some masks work, some actually make it worse, this study says.

1 Like
2 Likes

I don’t know, but underwear helps. lol lol lol

With Covid, you’re worried mainly about droplets that spray when people speak, sneeze, or cough.

The masks work when you actually wear them.

I do pull the bottom out for a breather a little when I have greater than social distance once in a while.

I don’t get people flipping out about being asked to wear them.

2 Likes

I think wearing a mask does not work. One reason is because the disease is still spreading around. Also the virus cells are very small, so it is possible to get the virus, from the sides of the mask…because it is not completely air tight. Another reason is because, I saw on tv the hospital workers were wearing mask, that were different masks. The were similar to gas masks. They were air tight, therefore I think those kinds of masks works. The more I thought about is the normal masks that people wear can help, but I believe that they don’t work as it gets. because I think the normal masks helps when somebody sneezes or coughs, when wearing the normal masks.

People often launch tiny spit droplets when they talk.

1 Like