Negative symptoms or depression

i have extreme avolition, cant get anything done really. i have so much i want to do but i get burnt out within minutes of getting out of bed. ive had depression in the past but now im on an antidepressant and my mood is better but i literally cant do anything, people offer me money to help them with stuff and i turn it down despite having no income due to this extreme avolition. i feel like im gonns lay around until my family dies from old age then ill rot away in a forest or mentally facility.

this is no way to live, im considering trying stimulants just so i can do something productive for once

3 Likes

Yeah, it is hard to distinguish depression from negative symptoms sometimes. Are you sad a lot or are you mostly just flat or “blah”?

1 Like

I wish I had depression instead of sz negative and cognitive symptoms.

3 Likes

Avolition is a negative symptom.

You’re not alone, it’s my biggest complaint, and it’s borderline destroying my life.

I’m on Abilify and it’s supposed to help with negative symptoms a bit. But it’s not helping with avolition.

2 Likes

im usually in a good mood and making jokes, i just cant bring myself to do anything and have been neglecting my responsibilities like cleaning, house maintenance, hygeine, dog.
ive started even throwing away dishes because i dont have the energy to wash them, now i have like one pan, plate, fork, and knife so it is somewhat easier to manage

1 Like

Well, that doesn’t sound like depression to me.

1 Like

there is not much difference, people with real clinical
depression also have severe avolition, anhedonia, and apathy. depression is not just sadness

2 Likes

But there is meds for depression but not for sz negative and cognitive problems. Depression also cause cognitive problems?

2 Likes

maybe not cognitive but when it comes motivation and energy and the ability to feel pleasure, some with depression struggle alot with it despite antidepressants

1 Like

Maybe change your AD.

1 Like

Over medication of antipsychotics also looks like depression or negative symptoms.

1 Like

Yes, but if you are usually in a good mood and making jokes, as you said, that doesn’t sound like depression at all.

3 Likes

But really only your Dr knows if its depression or sz negative symptoms. All my psychiatrists said I have sz negative symptoms and not depression.

3 Likes

im not talking about me specifically but many others with depression, my depression is under control but i also have sz and take ap’s so my brain may be different then those with just depression

1 Like

im on 9mg of paliperidone, kind of a high dose but when i was withdrawing from klonopin last year i constantly felt like i was going to relapse into psychosis

@Bowens @cigarino

Results: In schizophrenia, primary evidence suggests symptoms of low mood, suicidal ideation and pessimism have more specificity for depression whereas alogia and blunted affect may have more specificity as negative symptoms. Anhedonia, anergia and avolition may be common to both.

3 Likes

i guess i have the double dicker of anhedonia and avolition by having both sz and depression

3 Likes

Your AD is working and you’re not pessimistic, no?

1 Like

You have low mood? Thats depression and not sz negative symptoms.

2 Likes

my moods good im just drained

2 Likes