Schizophrenia.com

My weight loss has plateaued

I’m not losing weight. In fact I gained a tiny amount. I’m eating a calorie amount I should be losing weight on.

I saw a nutritionist for a year and she warned this could happen.

I’m not going to lower the calorie amount I’m eating and will see if the plateau effect goes away on it’s own.

5 Likes

Plateaus suck, but I fear if you don’t change it up the plateau will just go on and on.

You are still eating over 2000 calories are you not? So you have a lot of leeway to lower calorie count yet.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll give it another 2 weeks. If nothing changes then I’ll cut the calories back further.

1 Like

I had the same problem the last time I tried losing weight. I had a reasonable 1.6 lbs or so loss for several weeks, and then the weight loss stopped . I can’t cope with the calorie counting/my fitness pal approach as I get into a ‘Was that 2 or 3 ozs of cheese I had?’ mindset.

1 Like

I’ve gained like 5 pounds since getting back to 1000mg of Depakote.
And I was doing so well with my diet before getting back on Depakote.
I think that I’m getting off this drug and I may do it without my doctors consent.

I am so fed up!

1 Like

No, don’t do anything without your doctor. You were suicidal off it.

3 Likes

Over the past year, my weight loss plateaued multiple times. I just kept at it and eventually I started losing again. Don’t give up! Plateaus are normal

2 Likes

Yeah I probably won’t but I’m tempted.
She really wants me on this drug.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ll keep going. Thanks @Zannah

2 Likes

In fact, I’m in a weight loss plateau now. I’ve been the same weight for 2 weeks. But it’s ok. To jumpstart my metabolism, I increased the intensity of my exercise. Hopefully that helps

2 Likes

I am stuck at my halfway goal. Lost 15lbs and stuck for the last month. =(. I can’t eat any less.

Hope you break your plateau too.

2 Likes

Like I said, the nutritionist I saw said this can happen. Otherwise I’d be discouraged. Keep doing what you’re doing @Kxev , and hopefully things will start working again.

1 Like

I have put on 3 kilos.

Not impressed at all, but it’s my fault for eating take aways

1 Like

I’m 5’9 around 173lbs.

I’m up about 10lbs on Abilify. I have a bit of a gut, but overall feel fairly healthy.

2 Likes

I have gained 3 to 4kg.

My self compassionate self says it is okay… I simply needed it.

1 Like

@Wave , I would think that 5 lbs. is not enough weight to go off your meds over. Discuss it with your pdoc before doing anything rash.

1 Like

It’s now 8 pounds that I’ve gained since getting back on Depakote @SkinnyMe

1 Like

Don’t give up @everhopeful
Keep doing what you are doing and see if you lose weight.

3 Likes

That’s still a minumal amount of weight. Considering virtually all brainpills have a significant risk of weight gain, I’d consider myself lucky if I were you.
First time I took brainmeds, I gained almost 40 pounds the first month.

8 pounds is barely noticeable, and if you only want to take meds that won’t make you gain any weight whatsoever, you’re looking at spending your life unmedicated.

1 Like

In the bigger scheme of things, I’ver gained over 60 pounds with Depakote in the past.

I realize that most psych meds are big weight gainers but Depakote is especially notorious for its weight gaining properties.

They nickname the drug ‘Depabloat’

But it does keep me stable and out of the hospital.

1 Like