My usual (and good) brand of l-theanine is now unaffordable

I used to buy “Doctor’s best” Suntheanine L-theanine. It’s now become too expensive to buy in any quantity.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/doctor-s-best-l-theanine-with-suntheanine-150-mg-90-veggie-caps/12959

In fact all “Suntheanine” based L-theanine brands have gone up in price. I’ve no idea why.

So now I’m going to experiment with “Alphawave” L-theanine. It seems to be another patented L-theanine production method similar to Suntheanine. But it’s so much cheaper.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/california-gold-nutrition-l-theanine-featuring-alphawave-200-mg-60-veggie-capsules/83280

1 Like

Let us know how it goes.

1 Like

You can get 125 grams for $20 off Nootropic Depot @everhopeful

It’s pure powder. They have pill form too but it’s more expensive.

90 capsules of 200mg for $16.

(I bought from the site before)

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

The thing is I don’t want generic L-theanine. I’ve tried generic L-theanine before and because I was taking it in large quantities I started getting mysterious aches and pains in my internal organs!

I had no such issues with Suntheanine L-theanine. I’m hoping it’ll be the same with the Alphawave L-theanine.

1 Like

I had bought a bottle of l-theanine from iherb several months back.
Not the suntheanine version though. I realized after there was possible interaction with my Clozaril. Webmd says it might decrease effects of Clozaril. But that is theanine as l-theanine is not listed on the site

So in a nutshell it kind of worried to try it since.
What dose do you take and what are the effects with you?

I take 300mg in the morning and 300mg at night to sleep.

It builds up in your body and you end up feeling more chilled out.

Bing says

Clozapine, a medication used to treat symptoms of schizophrenia, belongs to the category of serotonergic drugs. On the other hand, L-theanine, commonly found in tea leaves (especially green tea), has been studied for its potential effects on serotonin levels in the brain. However, the evidence is conflicting.

Some studies suggest that L-theanine may increase serotonin levels, while others report that it may decrease them. Despite this, there have been no reports of L-theanine causing serotonergic-related side effects or serotonin syndrome. Additionally, interactions between L-theanine and clozapine have been demonstrated in animal or lab research, but they do not occur in humans.

Pharmacologically, L-theanine may act as a GABA agonist, potentially influencing changes in dopamine and serotonin levels. However, consistent evidence regarding its impact on serotonin levels remains elusive. Notably, there are no documented adverse reactions when L-theanine is used alongside antidepressants¹.

In summary, while there is some complexity in the interaction between L-theanine and clozapine, the risk of significant adverse effects appears to be unlikely based on current knowledge. Always consult with a healthcare professional before combining any medications or supplements…

Source: Conversation with Bing, 12/04/2024
(1) Theanine - Clozapine Interaction Details | HelloPharmacist. Theanine - Clozapine Interaction Details | HelloPharmacist.
(2) Drug Interactions with L Theanine: 10 Key Interactions. Drug Interactions with L Theanine: 10 Key Interactions | natural remedy insider.
(3) What You Need to Know About L-theanine | Psychology Today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/sleep-newzzz/201708/what-you-need-know-about-l-theanine.
(4) en.wikipedia.org. Clozapine - Wikipedia.

2 Likes

Thanks for that!

Yeah I need something to chill me out , anything would help

It’s funny Clozaril has a potential interaction on WebMD. I tested with the AP I may be transitioning to in a couple weeks (Lurasidone) and no interaction found

Clozaril seems to be an AP that can interact with much more supplements than other APs

1 Like

Well, my (cheap) alphawave arrived today.

I’ll switch over to that for a while and see how I get on.

Good luck with them. Hopefully you get equal benefit.

1 Like

Ok. The new brand is 200mg per capsule, the old brand was 150mg per capsule.

Previously I’d take 300mg in the morning and 300mg at bedtime. So 600mg a day in total.

With the new brand I took 400mg in the morning, 400mg in the evening and 400mg at bedtime. So 1200mg in total.

The result of taking 1200mg is side effects I never had before.

Like nausea (mild), dizziness (mild) and headaches.

I’ll cut back to 400mg in the morning and 400mg at bedtime and see if the side effects go away.

Good luck with it @everhopeful

1 Like

I’ve been getting my L- theanine by drinking “Uncle Lee’s Green Tea”. It makes me feel better, but it puts my kidneys into overdrive.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s probably dosage related. 1200mg is very much.

Maybe you could take 400mg once, then 200mg second dose, to match 600mg, if that was working for you.

1 Like

I just took 400mg today and I feel mildly dizzy.

This “alphawave” l-theanine crap isn’t working out really.

1 Like

Maybe it’s more potent. At least a possibility. Maybe try just 200mg.

1 Like

I think I’ll end the Alphawave experiment :lab_coat::test_tube: actually. I could take 900mg of doctor’s best Suntheanine without an issue.

2 Likes