My supplements for schizophrenia

First I have to admit that I’m still on Aripiprazol, 5mg a day and I see myself not stopping this medication, yet. This does not mean I have done a lot of research, because doing so gives me hope there is cure.

The supplements I currently take give me peace of mind and with those supplements Im able to learn new stuff, Im a computer programmer so I need to be up to date with new stuff all the time. On Aripiprazol I feel restless and my hands shake sometimes, but since I had taken the supplements, in the amounts listed below, this all went away.

I want to share this list, so others can give me feedback or others can use it for themselves. What I have learned is that most supplements I take have an affect on the nmda receptor.

My psychiatrist claims I need to drop amino acids and herbs, I need to rely on vitamins and minerals (and fats). So I take this literally and I found that vitamins and minerals do help me a lot. Especially omega 3 and magnesium. I do take however a pea protein shake each day, since it has balanced ratio’s I have no trouble taking this.

Supplement list

Vitamin b complex

Vitamin c (non acidic version)
http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/002402.html
Between 5 grams and 10 grams day

Niacin
http://www.altmedrev.com/archive/publications/13/4/287.pdf
500 mg a day
I do not take more, because I have elevated liver enzymes.

Glycine

Approx. 10 grams a day
I know of Sarcosine can be a cause of prostate cancer, so I avoid taking it:

Magnesium threonate

3x50 mg per day

Fish oil (filtered)

3000mg - 4000mg per day

Vitamin d

Between 5.000 and 10.000 IU a day
I have low levels of vitamin d.

Zinc

Between 10 and 15 mg a day

Choline
Like alpha gpc (125mg a day)

I have taken a lot of supplements in the past, my first psychosis was approx. 2 years ago (I was under a lot of stress that time, was living to work, did not rest well enough, had trouble sleeping). There are supplements that worsen my situation, and especially during that time (before I knew what psychosis was). These also seem to counter the effect of Aripiprazol:

Supplements that make my symptoms worse

Tyrosine & Phenylalanine

Both increasing dopamine in the brain, Phenylalanine seems to affect me the worst.

Citrulline, Arginine (in high dose)

There is a link between psychosis and too much nitric oxide.

All I can say is that high doses vitamins and fats work for me.

2 Likes

That’s a good list of supplements. I used to be doing something like that a year ago, particularly with the Vitamin C / Niacin megadoses a la orthomolecular medicine.

I only take Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals now. Been about 4.5 months now. Trying to wean off Haldol totally, but head pressure mounts and I take like 0.25 mg to control it.
Also experimenting with Turmeric + Bioperine and Loratadine (Claritin) to control the pressure and symptoms.

Going to try a PEMF device on my head to hopefully cure the remainder of my head pressure.

@naturallycured you complain alot about head pressure.

Do you smoke alot of cigarettes ?

1 Like

I’ve never smoked. Not ever going to start.

Head pressure is on the path to being fully controlled, however.

Appreciate the concern though!

1 Like

No worries. 1515

I forgot some supplements I researched:

Taurine
500 mg a day

Potassium
3x 500mg a day or more
ajp [dot] psychiatryonline [dot] org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp-rj.2016.111103

Selenium
(hoffer treatment)

I take -
L theanine
Sarcosine
Nodoz
Meto alanine

All work out for me :upside_down_face:

Huperzine A
Bacopa Monnieri
Sam-E
Horny Goat Weed
L-Arginine
Niacin
B-12
D-Aspartic Acid
Testosterone Support Multi
Multi-Mineral
Hemp Oil

I’m glad they work for you. Sadly I’ve taken all the things you’ve listed and they do absolutely nothing for my schizophrenia.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.