L-Methyl Folate?

Has anyone tried L-Methyl Folate and has it helped you?

2 Likes

I take methyl folate because i have an mthfr mutation and cannot absorb folic acid correctly. So, it helped with that. But it does not do anything for sz.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your input on this. Been taking it a little while and it seems to be helping my outlook.

Placebo effect is a powerful thing. Ride that wave as far as it’ll take you.

Gonna do that fur sur lol.

1 Like

For me metafolin is necessary, but not sufficient. If I only take metafolin, I experience no improvement.

B-6 (p-5-p) + B-12 (metyl) + Metafolin (Not Quaterfolate [low-absorption])

The above combination is what relieves my negative symptoms and this is true for at least 20% of schizophrenics.

For negative symptoms, I also take 4 x 600 mg N-Acetyl-Cystein and 1g Sarcosine.

My negative symptoms are gone!

2 Likes

Oh really…dont u have negative symptoms …common man…

2 Likes

I can’t list all negative symptoms off the top of my head, but I have a lot of emotion. The B 6-9-12, NAC, and Sarcosine are all listed in the vitamins section of this very website.

I’m taking a total of 33 supplements, I better be getting results. No meds. I am having trouble sleeping, it’s clear I don’t have everything perfectly worked out.

2 Likes

Thanks. That is encouraging.

You sound like a fighter. I am too. I am trying everything under the sun to go and keep off meds. Like you I am taking a lot of supplements but I have been off Seroquel now for 6 mos. I tried listing what I am taking on here as a topic a few months ago but was reproached by the mods and told not to encourage people to go off meds. My topic was erased. Go figger. So I won’t list anything as per ?policy, I guess.

1 Like

A percentage of schizophrenics don’t need medication…

As for me, I never went off meds, I tried abilify and respiridone but both of those failed. I went on trazadone and found success.

Trazadone helped me sleep. After a month I stopped taking trazadone and I had voices that wouldn’t let me go back to the doctor. I think the rationalization was that medication would cause my brain to shrink.

I now understand that medications would have halted my brain shrinkage. Unfortunately, I waited to long and developed maximum brain shrinkage.

Now my focus is on reversing the damage through life style and supplements.

I think I’ve figured out negative symptoms, 80% of positive symptoms, and I’m still working on cognitive symptom. I’ll read the guidlines and post if I figure out everything.

The supplements for negative symptoms are mostly listed on this website. My only difference is the specificity of b-vitamins.

Metafolin NOT Quaterfolate and NOT Folic Acid

P-5-P NOT normal B-6

Methyl B-12

Good Lord. I have to ask. What is the symptoms of no-meds brain shrinkage? And the long term consequences, if you know.

The symptoms of no medication for initial psychosis are the cognitive symptoms of schizophrenia.

Are these supplements the only supplements you take for negative symptoms? You take only 1 g of Sarcosine?

Thanks for the info :blush:

For negative symptoms of schizophrenia I’m taking the methylated B-vitamins, 3g NAC, 2g Sarcosine.

According to the studies listed in the vitamin section, it takes 6 months on sarcosine to reverse negative symptoms.

There are people who try sarcosine with only mediocre results, I’m guessing that it’s because they are b-vitamin deficient.

Without b vitamins the bodies methylation cycle slows down and sarcosine would be less useful. Thus I harp b vitamins.

Studies suggest that prompt treatment with AP meds results in better connectivity between brain regions than in unmedicated patients.

However, at best the meds show only modest benefits on cognition overall. For some people they feel more cognitively impaired, others less so, studies say on average there is a slight benefit to cognition, possibly because voices aren’t shouting at you while you try to do stuff.

2 Likes

I see from the picture you posted, that the most important in B group is Choline. Choline also contribute to make up Sarcosine and then Methionin which is important for methylation don’t you think so?
Thus we can benefit from Choline as well. But probably Choline with Sarcosine would be too much.

1 Like

As an addendum, I think the big difference I experienced in the negative symptoms of schizophrenia is because of two more substances.

Bioperine (boost b-vitamin absorption and bioavailability) and also anti-inflammaties [turmeric/curcumin w/bioperine, omega-3] (I’ve read this helps b-vitamins).

As you can see from that chart I posted earlier, b-vitamins are a bottleneck in the sarcosine pathway.

That’s why I think that it’s important that any person who doesn’t perceive immediate results consider adding the vitamins and consider shelling out the money for the expensive fully active high absorption version.

Yeah I agree, I actually take sunflower lecithin which has phosphatidylcholine. And surprisingly I think it improved my situation, but only because it helps fat absorption.