My propranolol prn is messing me up

I was taking 20 mg as needed but this got changed to 40mg last thing at night. This was since Friday.

Has been utterly awful

Have been confused and disoriented. Couldn’t get my bearings for an hour this morning. Wasn’t sure of the month - had zero idea what day it was.

Been feeling really depressed and low too. Had some thoughts of suicide

Plus getting chest pain

I have only taken it for two days but am quitting it for sure

6 Likes

Yeah, it definitely doesn’t sound like it’s working out…

2 Likes

I take 20mg as a PRN.

Will you go back to your lower dose or just ride the wave until you feel better ?

1 Like

Am just gonna quit completely. Is just not a good fit for me

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that it’s not working out well for you! I have never taken it. Do you take it for anxiety? Will your dr prescribe you a replacement med? @el_Jimbobbio

1 Like

Yeah I take it for anxiety. Not sure if I will get a replacement med.

Sorry for the brief reply. Not feeling 100%

1 Like

@el_Jimbobbio

That’s absolutely ok. I’m not feeling the best in my head either. I feel you. I hope you feel better soon. I wish you all the best. Take good care.

1 Like

That’s a weird reaction to have. I just become more calm when I take it.

1 Like

Are you still taking nicotine @el_Jimbobbio ?

Maybe it’s interacting with the new change in dosage with your propranolol.

Be careful, don’t cold turkey a beta blocker, you could run into trouble.

2 Likes

Funny you should say that. Just this second thought the same thing

CALL YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE QUITTING PROPRANOLOL COLD TURKEY

It lowers blood pressure, and a sudden stop could be dangerous in some cases. Your doc will know whether you are one of those cases.

2 Likes

Ok I will. Don’t want to mess about with heart meds

1 Like

Good luck, man. Mr. Star recently had the same issue with propronalol. His doc gave him a 4 day taper.

1 Like

Yep just spoke to my doc. 5 days on 20mg then stop. Thank you so much for giving me the impetus to phone!

2 Likes

So first morning on the reduced dose. I got a real early night last night - was all exhausted

1 Like

Hope it goes well! They tried me on it but I was cautious it being a beta blocker

Do they have any other suggestions for you to try in its place?

1 Like

I think so. When I phoned the cmht the nurse who leased with my doctor said there were other options. But I am intent of recovering from the propranolol before starting anything else

1 Like

Probably for the best. Can be hard to know what’s working when so many changes are made

1 Like