Mid range gaming laptop for non gaming purposes

I will be doing programming and Photoshop on the laptop. I was thinking once I sell my computers I could afford one of these :

Acer Aspire VX 15 Gaming Laptop, 7th Gen Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 15.6 Full HD, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, VX5-591G-75RM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N12YZ7B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_MGbqzbDNRHVAA

3 Likes

Looks nice…have u already bought it…

1 Like

You can even play recent games on that.

1 Like

Why would you want a gaming laptop for non-gaming purposes?
The IPS screen is mediocreand the other stuff is the usual “gaming laptop” quality
Better getting a good “business” laptop, like the Dell Precision

1 Like

my unprofessional assumption was that a good graphics card would make rendering large Camtasia Studio projects much faster;

1 Like

Rendering is usually heavily cpu dependent.

1 Like

oh ok. so do u think a gaming laptop is unneccesary for my purposes?

I will be using Android Studio and other pretty heavy apps. i might go for an i7 version of the one i gave a link to in the OP

1 Like

I just have to ask why you’d want a laptop over a desktop for graphics rendering? I’m somewhat sure that will do the trick though

i really want just one computer, and i need something semi-portable. I could get a jacked up Mac Mini or build my own powerhouse PC desktop. But, I like laptops usability wise.

1 Like

It is a good and balanced laptop; furthermore it is hard to find a non-gaming laptop with a good cpu.

1 Like
  1. Rendering is a mix and is related to the software, drivers and the stuff you are using (effects and others). A lot of software vendors take their time with making it so it would be able to use the GPU efficiently

2. I’m trying to read and find out what GPU acceleration this software implemented and can’t find a lot. I see their requirements are a GPU with 128MB VRAM and Shader 4.0 specification compatibility, which is very old specs, meaning that it could be a small improvement

3. In their own support post (which is very dull), they use an I7, 4th generation and a GTX 745, which is really slow compared to what you’ve picked

4. Also, as said, the VX5-591G has a relatively low quality IPS display

1 Like

BTW, “gaming laptop” is just a marketing thing. It has no real meaning. You could get a non-gaming laptop with better specs for gaming, for the same price.

I’d probably consider a good business class laptop with some GPU, like the Dell Precision 5510 or 5520, but you have to know what to pick

Is there any machine you are currently using and you are content with?

1 Like

It is more expansive and it is slower.

@nomad I’d stay away from acer as a brand and go with asus.

1. Slow in what aspect?
  2. “Business” laptops usually come with some advantages - very good service and long term software support, as well as better build quality, keyboard and in this case, display. I can say it about the Latitude 74XX series and I guess the more expensive precision as well.
    My 7440 has bios updates 3.5 years after it was released. Check out other, “gaming” laptops and try to find such a thing

No?

I like Lenovo for business laptops

1. Slightly slower cpu and much slower gpu.
  2. BIOS and OEM software updates are usually trivial, it is true that it has a 4K touch monitor (even if with a size of 15" the difference is not much macroscopic).
    Furthermore about the build quality there may be a difference only on the secondary parts because the “core” pieces are produced by the same manufacturers (intel, nvidia…).

im using a 2011 lenovo t520 which im trying to sell, and a late 2012 iMac which i am trying to sell as well.

I want one computer, total. All my files at one place.

1 Like

Here Alienware gaming lap top, premo… http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-13-laptop?~ck=mn

1. CPU - no matters. GPU - right, but it doesn’t mean your experience will be less or that it’s what he needs
  2. I’m just suggesting generally, haven’t recommended specific one. Trying to understand the OP
  3. Bios update is trivial in what sense? If the manufacturer won’t publish a new bios, then you won’t have one
  4. The secondary parts like motherboard and the chassis. It has some value and it will should be more cost effective