Help me buy a gaming laptop for under US$2000

Hey folks, I need help. I’m taking a mapping class right now at school, and my little notebook I’ve been using to write papers is not up to the task. I need a machine with a lot of processing power, a lot of RAM, a great graphics card. Basically, a gaming laptop.

My budget is US$2000. What machines do you like and why?

5 Likes

Do the research and build yourself. It’s easy. It’s all on youtube and you only need a phillips head screwdriver.

For that budget…you should get an intel i5, a decent power supply ( don’t skimp get name brand and power) and a decent graphics card like a 1070 for sure.

Check out Linus tech tips forum. It is good and has a lot of builds. Also check out pcpartpicker. It is a great resource if your building a computer. You’ll save heaps of dollars doing it yourself and besides shelling out for windows it’s way cheaper than a store bought.

If you need a hand to get started you certainly can pm me!

1 Like

Back in college I used to do graphics and advanced art related stuff all on the apple desktop computer. They are really good for that kind of thing. My college generally had computer labs with all the software installed as well. Like maybe can you use the computers in class or at the lab? My ex bf built a gaming computer using online instructions and that cost him about $3000. It also took a lot of time to ship all the parts so I wouldn’t recommend it if you’re in a hurry.

1 Like

A good point @anon62973308 on build…it does take a couple of weeks but if you have a plan it’s a no brainer. ( good to see you back by the way!).

Still. If you need a gaming computer to do what you need to do at that budget you get more value for money! I’d probably be able to get into a core i5 and water cool it cheaper than store bought and the graphics card which is a deal breaker for cost would still be decent.

Build yourself! If you’ve the money it’ll take two weeks max!

1 Like

Building is probably out - I’m mid-semester and need this now and I’m also in a bad mindset for taking on new projects and developing new skills. The machine is going to be a gift, so I just have to specify which one and someone else is picking up the tab! I want to learn how to build my own machine, but I’m at mental saturation point right now.

I live an hour away from campus, so the labs are out, too. I need something that I can use at home :crying_cat_face:

2 Likes

Doh. You should be at least looking at a core i5 intel. Better than amd on single core processing.

Best graphics card you can get…around a geforce 1070 might be in the budget but it’s hard because it’s an expensive part…look around. A 1060 isn’t the best…if you can move from that then cool.

You should get a look in at $2k . Ssd as boot drive standard. Hard disk as back up.

Have a look around and see what is out there. As I’ve said. I can give advice if you see something that interests you! Ram is also horribly priced these days but 8 gig will get you by…16 is great for a decent gaming rig with an i5!

1 Like

This is a Dell Alienware laptop - do you know anything troubling about the brand/see anything concerning in these specs?

• Screen Size

17.3 inches

• Touch Screen

No

• Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

• System Memory (RAM)

16 gigabytes

• Processor Speed (Base)

3.9 gigahertz

• Processor Model

Intel 8th Generation Core i7

• Processor Model Number

i7-8750H

• Operating System

Windows 10

• Storage Type

SSD, HDD

• Total Storage Capacity

1.256 terabytes

• Solid State Drive Capacity

256 gigabytes

• Hard Drive Capacity

1000 gigabytes

2 Likes

All of these first world problems…

Hey! You wanna know what I grew up with?? That’s right!

BALL IN A CUP!! fcs!

3 Likes

yeah it’s good. Might pay to shop around but alienware is expensive but quality builds. It should suit your needs. i7 and 1070 is good! Should suit your needs quit well. You probably could pick up something better…but it’ll suit you well!

1 Like

Yeah I’ve tried mapping on those but didn’t have a lot of success at it. Looks like I’ll have to stick to a computer if I want to pass my class.

3 Likes

It was the first I saw in the price range with a 1070 card! I closed a lot of tabs after your input :joy_cat:

2 Likes

If your in a hurry solid choice…but have a look around for similar specs. Alienware is expensive but it’s quality. It’s like good components and it’s got some back up with warranty.

Not a bad choice and those specs is a great price…do your research but I’d be happy with that for the budget. I could do better but I only use desktops…I think you’d be happy!

2 Likes

Here’s an Asus ROG Strix for the same price

• Screen Size

17.3 inches

• Touch Screen

No

• Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

• System Memory (RAM)

16 gigabytes

• Processor Speed (Base)

2.2 gigahertz

• Processor Model

Intel 8th Generation Core i7

• Processor Model Number

i7-8750H

• Operating System

Windows 10

• Storage Type

SSD, HDD

• Total Storage Capacity

1.256 terabytes

• Solid State Drive Capacity

256 gigabytes

• Hard Drive Capacity

1000 gigabytes

Main difference I’m seeing is the processor speed?

1 Like

Yeah you’ll get down to nit picking on certain functions.

Important to have…best graphics card you can afford. Most memory you can afford. Best processor you can afford.

With all that if they are same or similar. Look for functions or things like warranty. ROG computers are great if cheaper than alienware. I use the boards in my desktop builds. Great boards at expensive prices but total quality.

Looks like you can get an i7, Gtx 1070 with 16 gigs ram. Now look for other things. Software…Ssd size and hard drive side but a 256 gig ssd is mandatory!

2 Likes

They are both solid laptops. If it is going to sit on a desk, then getting a seperate screen as well (24” or more) might make doing graphical work easier.

2 Likes

That’s a really good idea, thank you for mentioning it. It would be nice to have my raw data on a separate screen from my map layers.

1 Like

What is mapping is that cad work?

I get my computers here, when I want high end one

1 Like

All I know is that you should definitely go with an i7, and you should get at least a 1TB drive. Make sure you get a good graphics card since it’s for gaming. Do some research on that. Everyone on here had some great advice.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t try to build your own laptop…

Have you looked into razor? They’re pretty pricey but pretty looking. The mac of windows gaming…

1 Like