Meditation-yes or no?

I am 8 years after my first episode. Im on low dose of antipsychotics. 100% stable and healthly, dont have any delusions or voices-high functioning. On ketogenic diet i lose 50 lbs and i started exercise. But i lack in social interaction department. What else i can try? I think about trying meditation (mbsr) but i am afraid, i dont want to worsen my quality of life or trigger psychosis. I am 40 years old and single, dont have friends. My life is empty of meaning. Any advice?

3 Likes

Do u work…!!! ???

I am 31yrs old …and from nepal… i tried many style of medication…it only triggers sz…

U can try it to belive it… yes u can try…

1 Like

Yes i work. I have good job. I feel guilty that i post here because i dont feel that i am ill at all. But because negatives and maybe medication i am empty and emotionless like some kind of robot. I search purpose in life after all.

1 Like

I agree with Farcry, give it a try and see how you find it. It seems to help some people and doesn’t help others. I’ve tried mindfulness meditation and it wasn’t for me, because I’m unable to concentrate due to racing thoughts.

If you see a pdoc you could try asking her or his advice on whether it’s a good idea or not. If you notice it has a negative effect on your mental health then stop doing it.

Edit: I’d suggest taking it slow to begin with, for example doing it just for 5 minutes… and see how it affects you and how you feel about it.

1 Like

I don’t really see how meditation could hurt. I would give it a shot.

Maybe a support group in your area could help with social interaction? Or any type of group for something you’re interested in.

1 Like

Personally for me, it’s a no-no. Everytime I meditate I get a panic attack that slowly creeps in. My body is very sensitive to dopamine.

2 Likes

Are there social groups for people with mental disorders in your country?

I think meditation is safe to try, personally I can’t do it because I can’t control my head and thoughts anymore…

1 Like

I’ve never heard of any negative effects of meditation, so that is new to me…
But I would just like to say that there are many types of meditation and not all of them require you to sit in lotus position for long periods of time. There is walking mediation and standing meditation… For me walking is much easier since it keeps the body moving with the thoughts.
There is also informal meditation which is kinda like half meditation… Some people even meditate while watching tv without even realizing it…

Good luck on ya… Hope you find what you are looking for

2 Likes

There are many threads here about the negative experiences of people with sz about meditation; the problem is not the lotus but the concentration required for it and the fact that it triggers psychosis for many people…

1 Like

Yea I see…
Didn’t think the lotus was the problem just pointing out that you don’t have to sit while meditating for those who think that’s a must…

Thank you for yours responses. I rather skip meditation. Transpersonal psychology can be dangerous and all i want today is peace of mind even if I will be lonely. I have job, maybe i just buy some happines.

meditation is good if you are patience

I can’t do mediation. It causes me to hallucinate.

1 Like

Yes. Meditation is a powerful tool that leads to enlightenment…

2 Likes

Zeno, I know that people try meditation, and it often doesn’t work for them.

But trigger their psychosis? I’ve not seen anyone say that. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I’ve not seen anyone say that it makes them psychotic.

Just my 2 pennies, peace bro.

I try to meditate for 10-15 minutes every day or twice a day. It does not trigger psychosis in me. I guess I am one of the blessed ones. It has a very calming effect on my mood.

2 Likes

Maybe I am too, it’s done me no harm.

But I’m no expert on it, maybe meditation can cause psychosis in some people, I have no idea.

There are many threads about it, I don’t mean that it makes normal people psychotic but that many schizophrenics hear more and louder voices for example while practicing it:

3 Likes

If your just lonely, try people watching in a public place like a mall, market or restaurant even.
Watch how others interact with each other to get a good idea of what it is that actually makes people friends.
Kids are the best to observe, because they are simple and honest about all, but these days, it’s not a good idea to watch kids that aren’t your own because others get the wrong idea.
You could also watch a kids show on tv to learn the interacting, I learned a lot from Sesame Street/Plaza Sesame- really.

Being lonely just means you havent practiced being comfortable around others, or the joy of sharing and genuinely being interested in others too.
For starters, smile and say hi. Then if you see something about someone (their chlothes, jewelry, items they have…) comment on it and ask a question such as where they aquired it, or how.
Let them talk, then if you can’t find more to add, say goodbye.
Keep on practicing, this is how you make friends.
Good luck.

1 Like

I can’t meditate due to voices, it ends up becoming an argument session with me feeling crappier and crappier as the “meditation” session elapses.

I used to have such a colorful imagination too, but now I try to minimize the visuals otherwise I hear a garble of voices. Bullcrap.

2 Likes