Meditation and hallucinations

A couple years ago in my late teens I used to be into mediation and would do light meditation quite frequently to relive stress which worked. However, the more I started to meditate I would go into this deeper state of mind, and I would get this euphoric sensation in my head and would see weird colors and shapes. I would continuously do deep meditation until I had my first psychotic episode. I started to visibly see humanoid entities, shadow people, demons, angels, and Jesus Christ.

I’m wondering if this has ever happened to any of you?

4 Likes

It is quite common and relatively normal to visualise things during meditation. The trick is to know that you are meditating. It is when you lose grasp on reality and lose track of the fact that you are meditating and take the visualisations to be more than just pictures in your head that have formed and mean literally nothing that perhaps you should stop meditating.

I recently took up Sudarshan Kriya yogic breathing for 10 minutes a day, and this has taken my meditation to new levels of peace and bliss, so much so that I’ve doubed the time i meditate every day to now nearly two hours. Occasionally, when I visualise the trippy visions that briefly occur, i know that it is because I am meditating and nothing more. I never apply meaning to it, or go on some grand delusion about who or why the visualisation occurs.

Take it with a pinch of salt, as a controlled hallucination that life is anyway. It is when the hallucinations are out of control you need to worry a little, perhaps.

1 Like

I guess meditation triggers psychosis…i was into meditation before sz hit me …!!! Meditation never did good to me …now i have stopped doing meditation cuz it sucks…

If it aint working just stop it… do some physical excersize instead… u seem pretty decent soul to me…have faith in urself…and keep doing right…!!! Take care homie…!!!

4 Likes

I’ve been seeing green swirls since I was a kid. When in bed i’d go into my head and see them on porpuse or i’d close my eyes and see endless zooming fractals without even seeing them on porpuse.

The fractals don’t happen anymore but I get the swirls all the time. It happens when I meditate or stare at something. It never scared me for some reason. It happens to me when I play guitar. I actually enjoy the experience because when it happens that means I am at peace. Sometimes the swirls will turn purple.

That’s one of the reasons purple and green are my two favorite colors. It’s a specific green, though. Bright almost like a lime green.

4 Likes

When I meditate I tend to hear voices more clearly.

4 Likes

I used to see fractals like that when I was a kid, but they stopped. It was groovy and I liked it.

1 Like

If meditation is too intense for you, there’s a lot of positive research into mindfulness. It’s about focussing on the present moment. There’s a lot of YouTube videos on it. It can be a bit intense to start mindfulness when in crisis though. I’d recommend body scan if you’re in full blown psychosis. It helped for me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.