Medication advice

So i was on abilify for years and changed to rexulti. Which is a pretty similar med. I complain a lot on here about anhedonia and apathy and restlessness and all that. Since rexulti isnt sedating and is a bit activating, i was thinking maybe that could have a part to play in those negs i mentioned. Do you guys think it would be worth trying something heavier instead? Oh and social anxiety is also a huge issue for me since the abilify. Any med recommendations? Obviously i will do this under the guidance of a psychiatrist. Thanks.

3 Likes

We are all different and respond differently. Still. I like zyprexa. I think better on it and besides the horror stories it has been a good med for me. So just as an example. You gain crazy weight with it for most. But it’s a trade off for me with better thinking…

I tried abilify for years and wanted it too work but ended up going back to zyprexa. It took me a while but sometimes you just have to try things to see if you get better function. That is the key. Sometimes that has worked great for me. Sometimes it’s been a waste of time and effort.

Talk to your shrink. They may have an idea of what may work for you simply from seeing how others respond…psychiatry really is an art more than science.

3 Likes

Idk i’m on haldol and my anhedonia is just worse and worse every year with or without medicine so idk anymore

1 Like

im on lurasidone (latuda) for about one year now i am stable on it since then and i dont have any complications or side effect from it except weight gain which is a common side effect for all antipsychotics and i am taking green coffee beverage to lower my body weight and a succeeded in that but i am still overweight but i will keep taking it to even lower it more.

2 Likes

If I had to go on one other than abilify option b for me would be geodon.

But you have to eat certain amount of calories with it.

The reason being for me choosing geodon is that it has low anticholinergic properties
This is quite important to me.

Also I’ve read it leans more towards weight neutral compared to some of the others.

This is what I would do.

Don’t go by my decision, unless you feel it’s what you actually wanna do :grin:

1 Like

@rogueone yeah i used to be on olanzapine way back when. But it seems that these days if i take more than 5mg at once i get super hectic restless leg syndrome with that zapping feeling and all. I like your advice but zyprexa in particular isnt for me. Glad it works for you though. I did like the mental health effect from it though. Just those darn restless legs are a killer!

@irrelevant i worry that somehow working on the negs are a lost cause for me too.

1 Like

Ozzy if I may say this. If you still got these negatives then it would be bad advice to recommend you to get off that because that brexpiprazole is one of the most efficious meds for negatives.
So my advice to you is to wait for Calypta to get available in Australia.

1 Like

@MIDO amd @Zoe , are geodon and latuda those partial dopamine agonists without much sedation? Cause im starting to think i might need a little sedation in my case.

1 Like

@columbus oh yeah? Is caplyta a promising med? You tried it out?

1 Like

Let.me just tell you that one of the users here on this forum had loads of promising things to say about this drug according to the negatve symptoms.
He takes Calypta and Haldol together and now he’s cured for psychosis, negatives, cognitives and side effects.

2 Likes

I don’t think geodon is actuallly a partial dopamine agonist.

I’m not sure about sedation.

But to be honest I think that is something that is usually highly variable depending on whom is taking the ap.

1 Like

lurasidone (latuda) is full dopamine d2 antagonist which give it potent antipsychotic effect. and in my experience all antipsychotics give sedation i think its due to dopamine antagonism but the one which have histamine h1 antagonist properties gives more potent sedation. latuda doesnt have affinity to histamine h1 receptor and in my opinion its a good thing as it wont cause much weight gain compared by other antipsychotics also wont feel drowsy in the morning. and latuda sedates me at night only as i take it at night and it doesnt sedates me or feel drowsy in the morning.

2 Likes

@rogueone I remember you said that abilify didn’t work for you. Well, it seems maybe like it doesn’t work for me either. But, can we really know if it’s not just zyprexa withdrawals that made it hard to transition to abilify? I don’t know how much time you gave it, I haven’t given it that much time. But there’s definitely a possibility the symptoms I got was from zyprexa withdrawals. Maybe it would work to take it super slow, who knows.

2 Likes

I honestly didn’t find any withdrawals as I tried abilify for like nearly 2 years. Just didn’t work and abilify gave me horrid akithesia which I worked through. It just didn’t give me the function that I got off zyprexa. I gave it enough time but I’m keen to get better function…I wasn’t functioning better on abilify and it made that choice hard. I really wanted it to work but it didn’t.

1 Like

My old psych wanted me on latuda before, because she said it caused less zombie-feelings and sedation, which I hated. I did read that some people get more anxious on it. Never tried it though.

1 Like

‘Zombie feelings’ doesnt sound like the most professional wording haha. But i know what she means.

1 Like

Hahaha yeah no, that was my personal translation of her words. :slight_smile: Can’t remember exactly what she said. Maybe emotional blunting or so.

1 Like

I’m on latuda aswell.
Been on it about six years or so and doing well on it.
I have insomnia and a little weight gain but I’m not obese.

I liked olanzapine but was huge weight gain.
Think I slept better on it.

2 Likes

yeah lurasidone is potent antipsychotic and works great for all type of symptoms i like it and it gives me good deep sleep at night.
i dont like olanzapine at all.

2 Likes