Man we used to get the best desserts on my first ward

Like Apple/rhubarb crumble and custard. That first ward was easily the best

3 Likes

We always got Jello.

1 Like

We got tapioca custard pudding. Easily my favourite.

1 Like

I remember them only serving stuff like cheap instant pudding. Not that people didn’t still fight over it. I recall one righteous punch up over some horrible butterscotch pudding that was garnished with those little colored marshmallows, which were dried out. Two flying Haldol tackles and both quiet rooms being filled overnight were the end result.

3 Likes

We used to get apple pie and custard and it was amazing. Other times rice pudding alot

1 Like

The food when I was in hospital was a notch or so above boarding school food. That’s not saying much .

2 Likes

The last hospital I stayed at was horrendous but the food was good.
Lots of comfort food.

1 Like

One psyche ward I vacationed in brought in a chef to make fancy meals. For breakfast we had crepes, waffles, omelets. For dinner we had steak, or lasagna that he whipped up fresh. It always struck me as weird that they fed us like kings and it’s the only place that ever did that. When I was in another psyche ward they kept a 5 gallon tub of ice cream in the freezer at all times and we could have as much as we wanted, any time we wanted.

1 Like

Can I have your coffee? Can I have your coffee? Can I have your coffee? Lol. That was dessert for many. I do remember they had top of the hour snacks like juice and stuff. I don’t remember much about dessert tbh.

:smiley:

5 Likes

We didn’t get dessert really but one time I got a very stale cookie with dinner

1 Like

I loved their cakes and custard!

So satisfying. I ended up always getting seconds.

1 Like

We didn’t get dessert on the last ward I was on. The food was ok, and it was at least healthy. Some of the poorer folks on the ward were always excited for the meals and got a lot. I had a lot of delusions about food at the time so I didn’t eat much. I still gained 5 pounds though (2.26 kg) from being so inactive.

At both my inpatient experiences, they fed us a very high carb diet. We didn’t get desserts but they certainly loved their noodles, corn, bread, and chips. As if battling AP weight gain wasn’t hard enough!

2 Likes

I remember that. Coffee was a popular choice. Are you gonna have your coffee? Lol. :coffee::coffee::coffee:

1 Like

For special dietary guidelines I always made sure I got double portions as a choice. :crocodile::crocodile::crocodile:

1 Like

We got these amazing morning glory muffins for afternoon snack.

1 Like

What state are you in? It sounds like you’ve been in some violent wards.

1 Like

The coffee at the hospital tasted like dirty dish rags. So gross. I just drank tea there.

1 Like

At the psych ward I was most recently hospitalized in, they mostly had Jello as a dessert.

When I was in a mental institution they had some really good grits for breakfast. I’d often add brown sugar. Back in the day I didn’t know what grits were. To me it was porridge. Pretty much the same thing I guess. Anyway, that might be the only thing I really miss from that place. Grits with brown sugar.

2 Likes

Province: Alberta, Canada. Was hospitalized in Calgary, Red Deer, and Ponoka. Ponoka tended to be violent for sure.

1 Like