Low blood sugar

I was eating extremely low carb foods through out the day but later on I felt a bit lightheaded and anxious, I figured it might mean that my blood glucose levels were low.

I decided to test my blood glucose level and voila! My reading was 94 which is a very low blood sugar reading for me as I’m diabetic.

I needed to eat a high carb food so decided on a blueberry muffin and now I feel better.

Anyone else’s blood sugar levels drop? Hypoglycemia?

4 Likes

Where I live (Canada) we use the same units of measurement for our daily blood sugar as we do for our A1C.

So on my last blood test my A1C was 6.5

When I last took my blood sugar here at home it was 4.4. I don’t know what 94 really means.

Yes, on occasion. It makes me feel weak, nauseated, dizzy and unwell. I have glucose tablets I take if my blood sugar gets low, if it gets really low I eat a teaspoon of sugar with water.

2 Likes

I’m type 1 diabetic. I get frequent lows, often in the 50’s or 40’s. I eat glucose tablets to bring up my blood sugar. Glucose tablets work really fast.

If I go unconscious, someone would need to give me a glucagon injection.

Low blood sugars are no fun.

2 Likes

I almost always have higher or normal blood sugar. It is very rare for me to have low blood sugar readings. I don’t check mine very often anymore though. It’s kind of a chore and I am never in the danger levels of low blood sugar so…

1 Like

Thanks @Headspark @Blossom and @Bowens

Wow @Blossom, 50 and 40 is dangerously low!

Type 1 diabetes is more severe than type 2

3 Likes

I just looked up the conversion, yes that is low. My lowest ever was 2.1 which equates to 37.8

1 Like

I get low blood sugar symptoms if I don’t eat too much, its why I can’t diet. Dieting makes me dizzy, shaky, weak, tired, irritable, agitated and always angry.

1 Like

Wow 37.8 is also dangerously low @Headspark!
Are you diabetic?

1 Like

Yeah, I am Type 2 diabetic. It was a side effect of my old antipsychotic, olanzapine. That drug made me fat and then I developed diabetes. I use to have A1Cs of 8 and 9 on a regular basis.

I’m no longer on that med and my A1Cs are now at prediabetic levels so I am doing much better.

1 Like

Yeah I’m type 2 diabetic and believe it or not lithium was the cause for me years ago.
My A1C has been under 7 for a while now.
My last A1C number was 5.7.
I’m doing ok with these readings.

2 Likes

5.7 is a good reading, I would be happy with that. My A1C over the last year has averaged around 6.3.

1 Like

My last reading was 6.9. You guys are doing good. I was just happy to be under 7.

2 Likes

6.3 is also an excellent number.
Anything under 7 is a good number.

2 Likes

Yeah you’re good @Bowens
It’s under 7

2 Likes

My A1C was 5 when I was on Abilify and exercising. Now its 5.7 since being on Risperdal and gaining 100lb, eating a lot and eating junk food, staying in bed all day and never exercising etc

2 Likes

5.7 is a good number @Aziz
Congratulations

2 Likes

Shouldn’t it be 5.5 and under though? I read that somewhere. When I was on Zyprexa it was high and they prescribed Metformin but I don’t take Metformin anymore, it made me have stomach pain.

1 Like

Yeah 5.7 is a decent number if you suffer with diabetes.
Anything under 7 is acceptable.

But I’m assuming you’re not diabetic

2 Likes

" A normal A1C level is below 5.7%, a level of 5.7% to 6.4% indicates prediabetes, and a level of 6.5% or more indicates diabetes. Within the 5.7% to 6.4% prediabetes range, the higher your A1C, the greater your risk is for developing type 2 diabetes."
All About Your A1C.

3 Likes

Yea I am not diabetic but my Dr told me to lose weight, I weighted myself earlier and I am exactly 130.5 kg. I am 31y.o. so relatively young, hope it stays at 5.7 when I get older especially since I am going on Clozapine. I read Clozapine is worse for diabetes than Risperdal. Idk but I think me staying in bed all my life and eating junk will cause health problems in the long run. At least I hate bacon.

2 Likes