Lifting weights and meds?

My question is simple, can I still build muscle on my invega sustenna shot or will my hopes of being healthy and fit be diminished. I already have been lifting weights for 12 years the biggest I could get off meds was 167 pounds at 8% bf I’m 5’ 10 BTW. Coming back to my point started my meds last June and I’ve only gained about 10 pounds but I haven hit the gym in a year only calisthenics(push ups pull ups walking) 5 months out of 12. The meds just had me so sedated it was hard to even get up. Was smoking light cigs avour 5 a day. I can still see my abs. Any gym rats feel welcome to answer my question. I won’t go into detail about how strong I was etc but main point is can I still build muscles into the rest of my 20’s (I’m 23) and into my 30’s 40’s and will it be at the same rate or slower will I not make any gains at all or is it just about my own motivation and consistency. Thank you

Meds don’t affect your strength but may make your negative symptoms worse which can prevent you from exercising.

1 Like

I see no reason why you couldn’t still build muscles on invega.

As far as whether or not you can gain muscle as you get older goes: I remember reading in an old “Gold’s Gym” bodybuilding book when I was younger that it is actually easier to build muscle when you get a little bit older. Something to do with the muscles tearing easier or something if I remember correctly.

Edit : When you get TOO much older you tend to lose muscle though so…

2 Likes

Meds can make you gain weight so your mucsles might not look as good when you have more fat. But if you can lose the weight thats good.

Im happy with where I’m at its exactly where I want to be I’m probably about 10% body fat when before I was about 7-8 I like the weight I gained it’s finally giving me that bulky look

1 Like

I’m almost 63 years old, and a few years back I walked into the weight room and tried to work out the way I did when I was 25. I was so sore afterwards that I had a hard time putting on my shirt for a couple of weeks. It wasn’t so much the muscles. It was my connective tissue that hurt. If I want to regain any strength I will go at it very gradually from now on.

I think they may have been talking like 18 compared with like 25 or 30 though. At 23 years old you should be at a prime time to build muscle.

I don’t expect to lift weights past 60 I don’t think you can still build muscle after your test levels are that low I hear its impossible to build muscle

Btw 10% fat on meds is impressive, 167lb 8% fat is too good. I was 18% fat 140lb before sz, before meds. Under 17% is athlete, under 13% is bodybuilder. Now on meds I think I am 40% fat :sweat_smile:

You can ask your Dr for testosterone if its below normal in blood tests.

I’ve always had a low bf I was also skinny I remember being 140 lbs and I didn’t have that much muscle on my frame the meds make me feel happy I wanted to start back at this size just to watch myself make gains like I did when I first started

2 Likes

I can hardly lift 7 pound dumbbells on my meds.

Negative Symptoms make it almost impossible.

You’re right, but I’m having a hard time facing my physical decline. It is new territory for me.

You can still build muscle after 60 crimby. I think it’s just harder.

1 Like

https://baptisthealth.net/baptist-health-news/never-late-building-muscle-strength-60/#:~:text=Repeated%20research%20has%20shown%20that,average%2040-year-old.

There are studies of people first starting to lift weights in their 80s and they can make a difference in their bodies.

1 Like

This is me now at 177.8 about 10℅ bf I can still see my abs but they’re disappearing keeping a good diet and trying to stay off the nic seeing where it’ll take me good luck to you too bro

1 Like

Man I’m so addicted to weights I’ll probably lll never stop lifting keep going mean it’ll let you live longer

1 Like

Idk, you are the lucky few that didn’t gain so much weight on medicine I gained like 40kg despite the best effort to ward it off

Updating you guys its been about a month and a half I’m not as strong as I was before the medicine sedated me and all I could do was sleep for 6 months but I definately see a change and for you guys that think this magically happened on steroids or something its not that dramatic of a change. Just keeping to a good diet and like lots of vitamins and no cigs. So you guys that say its impossible to make gains on invega (almost every forum post I’ve seen says so) you definately can you just need to stick to a good diet and exercise at least 3 days a week

2 Likes