Is this forever?

Hi I was hoping someone can shed some light on my situation or at least get perspective. I drank myself sick all through my twenties. Alone binge type drinking. I quit at 30 and started working out and eating healthier instead.

After about a year I felt great and started used weed daily and thats when the voices, thought broadcasting, paranoia, thinking I’m being recorded 24 7 and depersonalization all began. I was put on cymbalta for depression/anxiety but it didn’t help much, so I stopped taking it and ended up having a breakdown where I swore everyone could read my thoughts and the universe was all reacting to me.

I wound up in the hospital for about a week dz’d with schiz, they gave Seroquel while I was there. My p’doc has me on viibryd & Latuda since then and I don’t know if I’m better or it’s just the meds.

Did the weed bring out what the alcohol numbed all those years? What if I just had an episode because of the weed? What if I don’t even need meds and have they messed up my brain if I never needed them in the first place?

Thanks for letting me vent feels good to finally be able to write and think again without fear.

5 Likes

Have you stopped the weed? Did the doctors know about it?
Do you still have some psychotic symptoms?

2 Likes

THC-heavy and CBD-light marijuana strains make you paranoid, and can cause you to develop schizophrenia. Hopefully you’ve stopped smoking by now.

1 Like

Yes no weed 1 month and on viibryd/Latuda. I don’t have much voices and my thinking has improved. I’ve always been more shy, reserved so I keep to myself same as before but that’s normal for me.

2 Likes

Yes no more weed even though I miss it dearly.

3 Likes

doc knew and said definitely don’t smoke on these meds.

1 Like

I have bad mood swings on these meds is the problem for me now, I don’t want to ingest any drugs I don’t have to…this is the first month I’ve been smoke free but also medicated consistently…

1 Like

No one person can say if it’s forever or not, I drank heavy from age 16 to about 25, I quit all together at 30 and no weed, I got worse as I aged, stable on Abilify now

2 Likes

Meds dont harm the mind…my opinion. I think all people should took meds . Would help straigthen the chaos.

2 Likes

Weed affects many schizophrenics badly. I might even say “most”. It can screw you up even if you’re on meds. Probably the smartest thing to do would be to quit. My guess is that the weed triggered your schizophrenia.

Pot alone does not cause schizophrenia but if you already have the propensity to become schizophrenic the pot could trigger it. I don’t really need to tell you pot is bad for you because you should know already from your own experiences with it. Before you ever pick up another joint or if you are just contemplating it, you should think it through first. Just remind yourself what’s going to happen. Then ask yourself if it’s worth it.

Life with schizophrenia will give you all the trouble you can handle, if you add drugs to the mix or alcohol it’s like trying to put out a fire by throwing gasoline on it.

Psychiatrists are aware that pot can cause psychosis. They are aware that pot can trigger schizophrenia. That’s why they examine you and ask you questions and observe you and listen to your experiences and read your medical history. Because they want to rule out what it isn’t.

A diagnosis of schizophrenia is not given lightly. It’s a serious, serious disease and the psychiatrists should be observing you for a length of time before giving that diagnosis. My guess is that the doctors did not see you for just a week and diagnosis you within a week. It probably took time. If they look at your psychiatric history they want to know about your drug use to rule out that you just suffered isn’t just one single episode of pot which caused psychosis; they must have seen in you much more than a one-time pot induced episode.
They must have seen a pattern in your mental health that caused them to diagnosis you and put you on meds.

The meds need time to work and should be taken as prescribed. Work with your doctors, they are trying to help you. They have nothing against you, they are not punishing you and they take prescribing medication seriously. Just co-operate. Lay off the weed and booze for your own safety. Give those meds time to do what they are supposed to do. Give them a chance. There’s no overnight cure so all this stuff takes time and sometimes recovering from schizophrenia comes in the smallest increments but recovery is possible. Good luck.

5 Likes

Thank you, I always felt I was different and always in my own head. Even as a kid pot would always get me acting stranger than others and overthinking everything.

I decided to quit both, so it’s been a month. I had p’doc for depression but during my episode checked myself to hospital that’s where the diagnosis came from but my p’doc didn’t even believe it at first.

Reality is hard sometimes and we use drugs and alcohol to escape our reality. I use to watch tv and movies which makes my reality even harder not live up to the movies or accept political problems and escaped to a fantasy in my mind to cope.But being in the fantasy makes me think outside the box and distance me from the reality, which can lead to a solution of my real problem.

3 Likes

I think it is too early to know if it is the weed or not. Wait some months…

3 Likes

Zeno is right. Drug-induced psychosis is never supposed to last more than a few months. If you still have psychotic symptoms after ~6 months, it wasn’t the weed.

3 Likes

I have drug induce psychosis, and if you had only one episode you should take your meds for at least a few months to a year and then graduatly reduce it. It might be a one time episode and never touch weed again, it may trigger another episode which is harder to recover from.

4 Likes

“Working out” and “eating healthier” are great ideas in my book.

You are just beginning psychiatric medication? God, I hope you get good luck with it! It is not as uncertain as a crap shoot, but there are some unknowns in picking meds. The right med prescriber could help you . . .

Jayster

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.