Is the psychotic brain smarter?

Instabilities aside. When I experience what I feel to be psychotic, I feel like my physiology is more attune to others behavior. What I would normally miss, or dumb down in thought, my attention catches it feels like my mind is working overtime. However it may be smarter to ignore those things when possible because the elation of the mind in a relaxed state. Thanks have a good one

1 Like

It’s might have some slight advantages, but those only come with shortcomings attached to them… so it goes

2 Likes

If it didn’t have its shortcomings your right and so it goes

It’s definitely happier, which is all I’m really seeking in life - the pursuit of lasting happiness. Episodes were very gratifying to me, I learned a lot & changed considerably. I welcome them, which is why I’m staying unmedicated. I don’t want these positive outcomes of my consciousness to be blocked. I’m not a threat to anyone… :hatching_chick:

1 Like

The enlightenment of the psychotic mind is precarious, but very real. In a state of altered consciousness the mind is more likely to happen upon “remote associations”, or, the creative ideas which can be so priceless. Some examples the products of minds that are altered by drugs, or similar to psychotic states, are great works of literature, as evidenced by the great poets Edgar Allen Poe and Samuel Coleridge. Both men were opium addicts, and their works of literature continue to astonish us.
Out of the thousands of minds that are psychotic, only a few produce the priceless ideas that exalt humanity.

3 Likes

I don’t know if you would say it’s “smarter”. I would say more creative.

1 Like

My last psychotic break darkened my mind considerably. I couldn’t see my own thinking clearly. I felt blinded. A lot of visions that I was unable to understand went down the tube. My behavior then is incomprehensible to me now. I felt like a broken vessel. I still managed to function in the world and carry out my responsibilities, although not very well. I lost my inheritance and my daughter. I was permanently disturbed. Sorry to have to disagree with you.

3 Likes

Interesting discussion. Do other people feel that an episode of psychosis changed them? It changed me but I still can’t put it into words.

1 Like

i have delusions of grandeur so i say yes, i’m like albert einstien only better hahaha

2 Likes

I think we all have varying meanings experiences of what psychotic is and its something we can’t pin point as a whole because we’re all distinct living beings traveling with life. However creativity as you see it is a very good way to describe it. Thanks Crimby :smile:

On average, psychosis is actually less intelligent.

In fact it takes ten points of ones iq for good.

There is an argument to whether it is maladaptive in every case. Not necessarily is it always maladaptive. In evolutionary history, psychosis has made it through the genes of the human race. Whether this is through recessive psychosis and schizotypal people carrying the gene is uncertain, yet postulated.

I can say this much; my unique case made me in the most dangerous shape of my life by far, and I applied that dangerousness in physical fighting, martial arts. I was just too good at one point, at age 19. That is adaptive. That is a case where it made me fit and survive, yet it didn’t help me reproduce, but I didn’t try to have sex. I was hit on and flirted with by some but I was naive at that time and afraid of females.

So no, it’s not smarter, but in certain situations it is most adept. Not more, I meant that superlative; the paranoid psychosis is adaptive in violent situations. Violent situations were an everyday part of life in our evolutionary history, so it all comes together.

Would you place your bet on unmedicated mouse or normal John Smith in a death match?

That’s my standpoint.

1 Like

The psychotic brain has less common sense.

I think the psychotic mind is less able to make full use of its intellectual ability

1 Like

Some of the psychotic spikes… felt great… mind opening… I could see connections between everything on this planet…

It felt like full enlightenment… until it started to go dark… and the ability to relate to anything was getting less and less… I was sure I was making perfect sense… I wasn’t.

a rollercoaster is fun for a few turns… but days up on days of it… will make you sick.

3 Likes

Yeah, it was very smart of me to smoke pot while already psychotic. It was very smart of me to piss certain people off and almost get beat up. It was brilliant of me to take a math class in the hospital and I couldn’t add 15+13 or subtract 9-5. Yeah, with my enlightened psychotic brain it used to take me an hour and half to get dressed in the morning.

2 Likes

Psychosis affects your sensory perception and processing. It can kick things into overdrive. My guess is that it isn’t making you smarter as much as it is getting your brain moving and tapping into parts of you that may be dormant otherwise. Meds can dull you or made you drowsy and drag, as can depression, etc. Often active psychosis is connecting so many things at once that it’s uncomfortable - this in turn speeds up your processing and can lead you to connect things you otherwise wouldn’t be. I found that when my psychosis went away it was like a whole mess of crap was scraped off my brain and I felt my IQ jump about 30 points. I think a lot of our intelligence is suppressed when we are psychotic for various reasons, but it can also lead to breakthroughs because we don’t have rational inhibitions.

I don’t think we’re smarter on psychosis. Smarter than who? …

Mortimer, Am I understanding you correctly - are you saying a psychotic episode permanently takes 10 points off one’s IQ?

I’m seeing a correlation. 77nick77 mentions psychotic brain taking him an hour and a half to get dressed while mortimermouse and nodrugs mentioned it affected IQ. It can be very unpleasant. So if we are creative are we smarter? I believe one can be slightly psychotic and function beneficially. But once you go dark it’s basically over? Time for the psyche ward? I just always felt as if I could understand the language of math better when less medicated wishful thinking perhaps. Look not into the void that is dark but upon the Suns that illuminate it. Have a good day

1 Like

Yes, that is correct as far as I know

1 Like