Is schizophrenia your first diagnosis?

You have to have had symptoms for six months. Nobody likely had that first. I didn’t get antipsychotics first either. Just Zoloft. That didn’t do crap for me.

SZ was my first diagnosis, but I probably had something before then.

I really have never gotten a diagnosis. My doctor thanks it’s strange that the voices don’t really say anything. They say three things: no, yes and hmm. And they say that all day long. And then I have strange hallucinations that she says most people who suffer with schizophrenia don’t have.

She’s having me see other doctors: neurologist, have a head scan done and other stuff.

The medicine I am on doesn’t work that well. When I was on risperidone, and the voices either went away or got really low. But I was super tired all the time, and I felt like my muscles hurt.

I’ve been on 3 different meds since that one and none of them don’t really do much.

1 Like

I was initially diagnosed with major depression w/ psychotic features by my general practitioner. Then, when I saw the pdoc, she diagnosed me with schizophrenia but didn’t tell me for about a year about my diagnosis. My dad practically had to pry it out of her

1 Like

That was me too. I went from psychotic depression to sza depressive type.

2 Likes

OCD in my case. Quite severe, probably enough to trigger late-onset sz. I should add my OCD was of the obsessional type, centred over the last years in a chorus of supernatural beings sanctioning my every move.

1 Like

I had pectus carinatum which is like a ribcage disorder that was putting pressure on my organs in high school. I had to wear a brace around my abdomen for a few years but everything is good now.

1 Like

My first diagnosis was bipolar, then schizoaffective, then sz undifferentiated, then sz paranoid, and now again schizoaffective bipolar type

2 Likes

I think we should have a 'What’s your next diagnosis going to be ? ’ competition :wink:

2 Likes

No, I was diagnosed with depression for 8 years, it was a relief when I knew it was sza :raised_hands:
I was tired of taking meds for depression that didn’t do anything to help with the negatives

3 Likes

6 years with “psychotic disorder: not otherwise specified (NOS)” diagnosis

2 Likes

u must endure hard 8 years ; )

As vozes começaram quando? Demoraram 8 anos para mudar o diagnóstico de depressão para sz? Wow

2 Likes

My first diagnosis was Anxiety NOS but later on the psychiatrist told my Mother over the phone that I actually had schizophrenia.

1 Like

well my first symptoms was undiagnosed anxiety, pretty bad case. but the first time I actually saw a doctor, I was diagnosed schizophrenic.

1 Like

Not to you? Unfair. If was me, i would want to know right away. Not by my mother

1 Like

Yeah we had a fallout with him and left him so he got pissed off and told my Mom that I had schizophrenia.
Very unprofessional of him.

This was years ago during the 80s.

2 Likes

The new pdoc gave you the sz diagnosis for sure?

Now what are your diagnosis?

No this was my first psychiatrist.

My current psychiatrist gave me the bipolar diagnosis.

1 Like