Is it possible for an antipsychotic to not be efficient anymore?

I have been taking Saphris 5 mg without any problem for many years.

Saturday and Sunday I took 10 mg and Yesterday I took 15 mg.

Despite this raise in my dosage I still have symptoms of my mental illness.

Is it possible for Saphris to not be effective for me anymore and then my psychiatrist would need to change the antipsychotic?

Thanks

1 Like

Yeah I’ve heard of people on this board saying anti-psyhotics stopped working for them with time. Fortunately my abilify is still very affective after 3 1/2 years

1 Like

Have never heard of antipsychotic not working over time
Don’t think it’s true myself

1 Like

In some cases medications may work for several months to years and then stop working

http://www.schizophrenia.on.ca/Resources/Medication-Resource-Centre/ABOUT-ANTIPSYCHOTIC-MEDICATIONS

2 Likes

Yes it is possible.

2 Likes

I was on Abilify for several years, until the doctor suddenly had to keep raising the dosage in order for me to feel an effect.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve heard people on this forum talk about it before. Also you can be on a lower dose for maintenance but it may require more if your having active symptoms. Your symptoms can get worse from stress and other reasons too. When do you see your pdoc? Isn’t it supposed to be Friday? Also I don’t think it’s a good idea to raise your saphris without talking to your pdoc first - just saying,

1 Like

I’d like to add that for some people, anti-psychotics don’t take away symptoms completely, but they keep them from getting worse, and keeps them at a manageable level.

You shouldn’t raise your dosage anymore without talking to your doctor, those things take time to build up in the brain and gain its full effect. I know it’s hard right now, but you’ve got to be patient

1 Like

Normally if they stop working they should first question if your taking them as prescribed?

Thanks. Yes I’m seeing my psychiatrist this Friday. It’s too bad I have to wait so long because I’m getting no improvement. I am already getting a lot of pressure from my company to restart working as soon as possible! :slightly_frowning_face:

I can barely walk because of the dizziness and tachycardia. I just had to go outdoor for my garbage bag and I was feeling a chest pain. I felt that yesterday also when I went to the pharmacy. I have only somatic symptoms but sometimes I wonder if they are not real physical symptoms of a real physical problem.

Have you been medically evaluated? I would if it were me. I had a Dr that told me once that even hypochondriacs get sick. I’m not saying you’re a hypochondriac and I’m not trying to freak you out, but you know just to be safe and if nothing else, to ease you mind, go see your Dr.

3 Likes

I don’t have a doctor. I’m on the waiting list to get one. Here in the province of Québec, there are a lot of persons like me who are on the waiting list because there are not enough doctors for the population.

The only thing I could do is to go to the emergency clinic but I’m sure they would be upset against me because they would say I’m not an urgent case and my life is not endangered. While I was sick before 2013, I used to have that kind of symptoms and the doctors were ignoring me.

It seems I could only wait for Friday to see my psychiatrist. My psychiatrist thinks that I’m not hypochondriac and that my physical suffering is real but she thinks that the only solution is medications.

I would worry that raising your dose on your own would make your physical symptoms even worse, because of side effects.

2 Likes

Tachycardia, dizziness, and trouble sleeping are actually all listed as possible side effects.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for that @Ninjastar.

But I have been taken Saphris for a lot of years without any problem.

I took Geodon for five years with no problem, then suddenly started experiencing heart problems. My doctor figured it was because I lost so much weight, so she changed my dose and I’m better now.

1 Like

But the tachycardia, chest pain, palpitations, etc, were exactly the kind of symptoms I was having before beginning to take an antipsychotic for the first time.

I just worry about anyone who raises their dose without consulting a doctor first.

1 Like

I just took 5 mg more than what my psychiatrist told me to take. But I promise I will take 10 mg from now.

1 Like

5 mg more is a lot for the drug you’re on.

1 Like