Is full time work too stressful for schizophrenia

Should i drop the idea of work.

1 Like

There are members here that work full time

It depends on the individual.

1 Like

Try it before you knock it. It depends on how severe your illness is. Work does provide a little more freedom than being on disability the rest of your life because making money allows you to do more. But don’t be ashamed if you don’t make it. The percentage of schizophrenics who do work is small.

It is better to try and fail than to give up before you even start. And yeah, plenty of us work/worked full time. I worked full time until I quit to become a parent.

1 Like

Don’t work full time if you have SZ. You will crash and burn.

Part-time is good. Work up to the income you can acquire before benefits reduce. Test the waters.

If you’re capable of more, go for it.

1 Like

Are you stable? Have you gone years without being hospitalized? Can you handle a substantial stress load without relapsing? That’s what you need to ask yourself.

Myself, I work full-time, but I’m basically a statistical outlier in my community. I’ve discovered that what works for me professionally only maps to a select few, which makes me sad. I want to see every SZ enjoying success.

4 Likes

I was diagnosed 2 years ago at 40 yrs old. Im very stable now but only because i live a stress free lifestyle. My stress tolerance is very low and i feel like working would only rock the boat

2 Likes

It depends massively on what job you do.

If you’re financially stable now, maybe you could study and learn something new and ease yourself back into work?

I delivered pizza for 4 years. After I brought them pizza, I would see them in my passenger seat, riding along…

Voices and doing dishes were the bad things about it.

That was when voices tricked me into throwing away everything that I own, to try to get to heaven. Don’t fall for that one!

I have psychotic depression and I used to work 5-7 hours a day before I became a full-time student.

Everyone with sz is different. Try your luck with work otherwise you wont know if you’re able to work.

I worked a 30+ hour workweek for over 4 years. I made about 3.5k per month. Stress level was moderate. I struggled making small talk with co-workers but once work started I was fine. But eventually it got to be too much, I relapsed on drugs and was hospitalized. When I emerged, I could no longer work, I quit and was reinstated on disability.

Those 4+ years I worked was in sales where I had to interact with others. A definite positive is that I’m no longer freaked out about socializing with strangers. I still have anxiety with new acquaintances but it’s a work in progress.

1 Like

For years I did what I call blitz work. Full-time for a couple weeks then coast part time

If you are stable and you enjoy it, it could work.

I’ve been employed a long time and had many different jobs. I don’t know if you would call this a philosophy but I will work any hours an employer asks me. So yes, over the course of 35+ years of being employed sometimes I worked 40 hour weeks. Most of my jobs were part time though.

Before jumping into full time work, maybe you could test the waters and try part time. If you manage to do that successfully for a period of time then maybe attempt full time employment.

You can make OK money working at some part time jobs.

I’ve been working 24 hours a week for 3 1/2 years, but I’ve never thought working is for me. I’ve always had trouble working in the past, and I never enjoyed it. It’s so stressful, even with support. I’ve been in and away from work past few months and it’s really been tough. It depends on your condition, but if you feel staying at home is all you can do, don’t push it too hard. It might work, but trying too hard can make you really deserted.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.