What jobs to us schizophrenics have

Hello , last year i was diagnosed with this disease(in my twenties). I also work full time and live independently. I work full time in a large hospital in surgical theatres.I have also just bein excepted into paramedicine in uni. Very happy although somewhat nervous given my recent diagnosis. Is it foolish to pursue ? Is it too ambitious given my illness. I dont think so . Any thoughts ? Anway what im asking is if thier are others out thier with this disease who work ? If so what do you do , how do you manage your illness ? Hows your life ?

4 Likes

I work once a week with cleaning.
I manage my illness with meds, taking walks, meditation.
My life, i go to a clubhouse, i live in my own place. It goes.

6 Likes

I don’t work, but some people here have low stress jobs while others have jobs I would consider stressful. Hopefully, you get responses from lots of people who work.

What you can handle depends on you as an individual. Do you still have symptoms? How well do you handle stress? Being a paramedic is a very high stress job with very high burnout. But if you’re very stable, devoted to taking your meds, and handle stress well, it may be just fine for you.

4 Likes

I’ve been working part time as a janitor for the past 12 years; it’s a far cry from a career in medicine. I take medication and take to a psychiatrist and a therapist. As I aged my symptoms became less intense and more manageable, I don’t feel like I’m going to go crazy at any second like the first 2 1/2 years when I got sick. My life’s not the greatest but I’m working on it, I have to make some changes.

I can only think about discouraging things to say about pursuing a career in medicine for a person diagnosed with schizophrenia. The nicest thing I can say is it’s possible but it takes a special person.

7 Likes

Really depends on severity. Some people have one episode of schizophrenia and are good, others (like me) have it chronically and that kind of stress would make me a lot worse off.

2 Likes

We own a vending machine business. I fill them up most days and must be pretty good at it because we keep getting new accounts. And I repair them and do all the maintenance.

Problem is we just don’t make much. Buying the food and drinks to put in them takes most of the profit and the sales tax the parish and state charges us is absolutely ridiculous.

The week I pay that I can’t afford to shop at all. I haven’t paid April’s yet. Should have paid May already. I just don’t have the funds. So there will be late fees and penalties also.

My wife owns the business. It finally has a lot of cash flow but we probably only make a couple hundred a week.

I got fired from my last real job was a program manager for a defense contract.

8 Likes

I am a janitor and I work 5x a week
I get SSDI and food stamps and section 8

So yeah…

It works out ok

8 Likes

What is your job position in the surgical theatres?

2 Likes

i need a job but despite being stable on meds i have a destructively extreme level of avolition

3 Likes

I am a helper in a pizza shop. It is not very demanding for a normal person since is slow, but is demanding for me while on meds. I am affraid of looseing the job since i get less energy as days goes by.never mention at work I was diagnosed with sz

3 Likes

Theatre assistant. Perioperative HSCW.

3 Likes

I had symptoms for about 4months after starting the meds , but gradually decreased when on the meds.

2 Likes

Thank you all for sharing !!

1 Like

You mean an episode of psychosis.

I think if you have schizophrenia you are destined to be poor. Some people make money but it’s rare.

6 Likes

I don’t think anyone is destined to be poor, but SZ makes it much harder to work your way up the socio-economic ladder, due to both symptoms, and how other people are more inclined to mistreat you, or write you off.

1 Like

Go for it if you are stable, make sure you processed everything. A diagnosis is not the end of the world.

1 Like

Translator and interpreter!

5 Likes

It all depends on how you handle stress. I don’t handle stress very well I get extremely paranoid.

1 Like

I am working in Data Science now!

4 Likes