In America, how many hours do you work while keeping your SSDI?

I know I need to stay under a certain dollar amount, but what about hours worked?

Anything over 80 hours a month is considered using a work trial month. I usually work about 10 a week or about 45 a month.

2 Likes

they dont dock you based on your hours worked, if you are employed by someone else. it’s based on how much money you make. trial work periods, substantial gainful activity. if you are self employed they dock you based on hours worked and/or income. the trial work periods and SGactivity still apply but they also cap you at 80 hours per money. i would think it’s a good idea to not go past 80 hours per month even if you are employed, because it starts to make you look like u can work more.
i dont think they usually say you are able bodied if you stay below substantial gainful activity, but it’s possible they will say that, though. so you have to be careful.

1 Like

What about SSI? I think with the way the economy is going and the trend towards conservative, republican government, they’ll be more strict and even cut benefits. It feels that way because I got only a 3 year review and had to send in EXTRA paperwork. I should have got a 5 year or 7 year review. Not sure how they factored in “possibility to recover in the next 3 years” works…

1 Like

i personally like the idea of keeping your income at 75% of substantial gainful activity. or less. that’s because in the ssecurity disability business, there’s the idea of ‘parking’, where recipients keep their wages artificially low yet kinda high. they define parking as making 75%-`100% of substantial gainful activity. i’m sure it raises red flags if you earn a lot, even if u are technically under SGactivity.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.