I'm often tempted to give the homeless on the street money

But if I make it a habit it would drain me.

The other day a homeless guy walked through the train with bare feet. It was a cold rainy day.

I felt the need to give him a pound.

Poor guy.

8 Likes

When I used to go outside I gave like 1 or 2$ every 1-2 weeks to homeless ppl or to those who sing in the metro station.

1 Like

Actually sometimes more than 1-2weeks.

1 Like

Whenever I go to Brussels I give money to beggars. In Leuven there are no beggars.

2 Likes

why won’t you give them money mae?

they are still human. But unlucky to say it at least

Not round here i wouldnt - cos i know damn well its likely to go on drugs. Im not tarring everyone with the same brush, cos i was street homeless myself for some months, but here there is a homeless shelter run by stone-pillow and ive donated to them instead.

I know they can get a meal there every night, so i question what the person wants the money for.

8 Likes

I’ve given money to the homeless, bought a guy a hot dog at a hot dog stand because he was hungry, donated clothes to charity, given money and food to the food bank. Put money in street musicians hats. Given money at checkout to various charities at the grocery store.

I think it is important to help out those less fortunate but I don’t give to the point that I go broke and can’t afford to live.

6 Likes

There’s a guy in my neighborhood who when he was a kid his mother died in a car accident so the neighbor decided to take care of him. As he got older he was diagnosed with schizophrenia. The house he lives in is paid off but he doesn’t get much money from disability and he smokes cigarettes. He goes all around town looking homeless saying he has nowhere to go. He uses the money he panhandles to buy cigarettes. He lies to people and says he has nowhere to stay. He asks for money to stay at hotels. He owns a house and the neighbor lady takes care of him and his finances. He dupes people into giving him money for cigarettes. The lady who takes care of him is on Facebook and asks for winter clothes for him. Where I live I talk to the homeless people and a lot of them get disability. They just don’t get much. You just never know.

1 Like

Begging is a profession. They deserve to earn a living :innocent:

1 Like

Once I saw a a beggar who had nice clothes and a cellphone, I didn’t give him any money. How can he afford a cellphone lol?

2 Likes

I never give money to the local panhandlers…instead, I keep small bags with convenience foods in my car and give these to them. At least then I know it’s not going towards drugs or alcohol. They always seem to appreciate the food.

4 Likes

Lots of Eastern Europeans over here - and usually they havent got a visa and work cash in hand at the farms north of me. They sleep in the car-park above the supermarket. Some i know wont go in the 56 bed shelter because of their immigration status.

Feel sorry for them really - but it does scare people when they camp out at the cashpoints.

Im not completly hard hearted - ive been known to buy them the odd beer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Naarai once a Romanian lady wanted me to buy one of her roses. I offered her a pound for a rose, she started gesturing that she’s having a baby so I gave her two pounds. As I gave her two pounds, she snatched the rose off me.

4 Likes

I send you my bank details.:rofl:

1 Like

Haha dunno… How much you want?? :joy:

1 Like

Well, my tabbacco addiction cost around AUS$1400 a month. I am not an alcoholic or take other drugs. I don’t gamble either and I don’t have to pay money to my ex wife to see my children I don’t have. How much can you fork out ?:kissing_heart:

1 Like

I think it’s nice to have that kind of compassion it’s a testimony of what kind of person you are.

5 Likes

Thankyou Natron :relaxed:

Assess the environment before you give to someone. Are there other street people around? If they are you might want to catch the person you want to help when he is alone, and give the money to him then. Otherwise you might have a lot of homeless people hitting you up for money. Personally, I’m such a softie that I’m willing to donate when I pretty well know the guy is going to use the money to buy drugs or alcohol. I shouldn’t do that. I’m a recovering alcoholic.

2 Likes

I believe in a functional society the government takes care of poverty and makes poverty history.

1 Like