Do you give?

Do you give money to these people on Facebook who have suffering children? I would like to help every single one,but I just don’t have the resources.

2 Likes

I gave an artist a bit of money once ($50 Canadian which is only $32 US). I forget the site…(I think it was buy me a coffee, kofi?). She was a struggling single mother. I didn’t think this would cause me trouble, but then I needed to get something repaired, and I regretted giving away the money.

3 Likes

I was at the bank withdrawing money at the ATM to give to my mom for rent, and when I walked towards my car, this lady approached me.

She said, “can you spare ten dollars?”

…I was taken aback:

Ten dollars?!

That’s a lot of money to be asking from a random stranger, honestly.

Just seemed greedy, not needy— and not to mention, oddly specific.

Like, I don’t know… Maybe I’m just being a Scrooge, but wow.

And needless to say, I barely have enough for myself after paying my mom, so I ended up declining.

6 Likes

No. There would be no end to it.

It helps never doing something that might be a bad habit. Also, it’s best to avoid contact with potentially unstable people.

1 Like

I give about 20 dollars a month to a organisation that provides housing and education for orphans in south america. I also give to others on occasion, but almost never on the street though.

But I wouldn’t give unless I could spare it.

2 Likes

No. Many are scammers. I give to organizations that help the poor, but only after researching to make sure they have low overhead costs and the majority of the $$$ goes to those who need it.

4 Likes

Never give money to people you do not know personally, ever.

BTW

That includes Amazon, and every other corporate hit-man ever invented. Keep your money locally invested.

I would advise people to be involved with their own time, by volunteering into organizations that could use the unpaid help.
You can give food, bottled water, basic utility supplies or other material needs of living. Such as the case in charitable organizations.
Money can be used in the drug trade or other illicit businesses. The harder it is to liquidate whatever you give away into cash, the better.

The easiest place to scam people is the internet, unless you are willing to investigate and invest your own time and/or commitment into the cause, being careful and skeptical along the way, then you really don’t know where your money is going. You end up trusting the system instead, which is the omnipresent risk of the internet.

As for homeless ventures:
I know there are people on the street who claim to be homeless but make/made more money than the average working Joe. In high school my football coach who was teaching a class (which for all intents and purposes was there to bump up his athletes GPA), who openly admitted to us that his son would play the homeless scam and make more money than he did working at the school. Another I heard of without confirmation that a ‘homeless’ man saved up the gift money and invested into the market at the right time and now drives a farrari. In the local college town near me, the homeless have time schedules to organize who squats at which corner, at what time, almost like a rotating job shift.

There are definitely real homeless people whose lives can be changed by the right person at the right time. But getting past the scammers and other illicit venues, and then trusting the recipient to not go for drugs when you give out cash, is like dropping a coin into a whirlpool and expecting it to spit it back at you. The ones who need the benefit and are just scrapping by, are diluted by those who do not.

The working class being S@#$%ed by the ones who control the numbers game of the economy (Federal Reserve), and the over priced housing market (corporate rentier system) are to truly blame for homelessness, now and in the future. Neither of which is controlled by voted representatives or voted for directly via the people.

Online shopping is da bomb. The less I have to go into stores the happier I am.

3 Likes

Nope, I won’t usually.

But when I saw a burnt victim I gave all away what I had to her.

I was just taken back.

I wonder now what she could have thought ? About me reacting that way.

When I had a good job I always gave to charity. The Phillip Hayden Foundation for one. It’s an organization that sponsors Chinese orphans with medical problems. Like my little girl had a cleft palate. One baby had heart problems.

World Vision, Samaritan’s Purse and such. I used to buy handicrafts from persecuted Christians and gave them as Xmas gifts

2 Likes

Yeah, online shopping is a good thing for a lot of people. I for one am mentally scarred every time I visit walmartia.

Having other options, and contributing to local shops is what I was recommending overall. Having more options is always better to the consumer.

No doubt.

4 Likes

Good times…
Sam & Dean vs Dinosaur

1 Like

That looks a awful lot like velociraptor :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: or his daddy.

1 Like

We have various folks who need money who busker in front of the grocery store I frequent. I sometimes give them $20. They typically play either the accordion or the violin as accompaniment to recorded music. One time a father and his little son both played accordion. The little boy was playing a small child sized accordion while the father played an adult sized accordion.

6 Likes

I have no money no income

2 Likes

We are NOT discussing the liability issues that arise from ankle biting.

Expensive.

[ hides under couch ]

:flushed:

2 Likes

Everyone wants to help with it but they lack resources

1 Like

@josefromeo

Welcome.

If you find yourself in need of help, just tag a moderator. Type the @ symbol, then our names

@Moonbeam, @Ninjastar, @Bowens and @voithos

If you have not discovered our official forum rules and read them yet, you can find them here.

Enjoy your stay with us!

@josefromeo Is that your real name? If so, we recommend changing to an anonymous user name. This forum is public and can be searched on Google. So if someone looked up your name, your posts could come up and private information, like symptoms, would show.

Please choose a new user name and post it here, a moderator can change it for you.

1 Like