I'm not sure if this is a delusion

How do you guys realize that what you are experiencing is a delusion?

1 Like

It was meds for me… at a hospital

4 Likes

Ok. How long did it take you?

About two week stay did the trick… when the doctors diagnosed me with schizophrenia, at first I was skeptic, but then he gave me an article about a women who thought she was a cup of sand, or something…

I was in denial, like hell no! But they reminded me when I was first admitted to the hospital, I believed I was Jesus and Satan… and it all made sense… I felt sort of empty souled after I’ve recognized it, that I was highly delusional

3 Likes

Oh ok. I have been on different meds for a little over 3 years and nothing changed.

Meds are the only thing that helps sort out reality from a delusion, at times off meds I can tell myself what i’m thinking is silly, and shortly there after I get into the but, would if and away i go

2 Likes

Well, at least now you have some idea that what your going through could be a delusion And question it’s authenticity, rather than fully emerge in it. I think that’s a good progress

2 Likes

I thought I had been in the army when I was in the hospital. I’ve had dissociative episodes where I was gone a while living other places which I’ve never really tried to talk to my parents about. Sort of did but it wasn’t a down to earth conversation. They don’t own up to these things normally though. They’ve brought things up in the past that have related to them. So I was having these images in my mind of being in the army and I mistook them for memories. Didn’t tell anyone and I thought that while I was away I joined the army. I began realizing that they weren’t memories but images in my head and didn’t have to feel sutpid as I hadn’t told anyone about them. Or the time I thought I was being contacted by hell. I thought they were demanding that I quit smoking and could do things to my cigarettes. Or that people could go places invivsible and screw with you that way. It took some time to come out of these. Mainly being in the hospital and on meds. I can say I’m no longer delusional at all these days it just took time. I’m grateful for my sanity today. It just took time to sink in.

1 Like

Is it something you can talk about? If someone can help you reason between when it is plausible and when it is not. It might help?

1 Like

Its hard for me to determine that what I’m experiencing is real or not real.

1 Like

Yes. I would love to talk about it.

people told me about my delusions and that they were delusions but i still have a hard time admitting they were delusions. The time in the psych ward helped me though to not keep obsessing so much over them. Now on the right meds i don’t obsess much over them and so it doesn’t become a problem.

3 Likes

I use reasoning to figure out if what I’m thinking is a delusion. Works every time!

3 Likes

Do you still have symptoms

How do you guys know that it’s all a delusion? How long did it take you to realize that it is a delusion? I really believe I’m being broadcasted across the country and it all feels so real. Its really hard to tell if it’s real or not, and the only reason I dont know if it’s real or fake is because I cant find a hidden camera in my body. It’s hard to tell. And it’s hard to trust anyone who says it’s all a delusion and that’s because I hear the tv and YouTube talking negatively about me. I know I need my meds changed. Where I am, I don’t have a psychiatrist, only a nurse practitioner who prescribes my medicines. I have to figure something out because I’m feeling suicidal. This is not a good way to live. I’m only one woman and I can only take so much.

2 Likes

You could look through this forum, searching for “camera”, “Truman” to compare your experience with those of others. Many people seem to feel that they are on TV, which might suggest you are experiencing a delusion.

You could also have a look at psychological theories that claim that humans split themselves and in a sense self observe, which might suggest you are more aware of this self-observation than most, but that you are interpreting it in a delusional way. I have posted such theories on this forum so you can search for them here with the names of the theorists such as “Adam Smith,” “Bakhtin” or “Rochat.” Adam Smith, the father of economics, writing in the 18th century, is the most down to earth.

1 Like

no not right now anymore. The meds made my symptoms go away mostly. Negative symptoms i have though and some cognitive problems.

have you tried clozapine…its supposed to eb very effective

I don’t know how to answer your question but to share my experience. I had countless delusions. And many very odd things have happened to me, so I am prone to believe in anything. If it gets intolerable maybe you’ll just say f- it! and it will go away. I taught myself to doubt. But you can’t live totally in doubt or you won’t know anything. True belief can feel different, but it can seem like the difference between Pepsi and Coke, I think. I don’t know how I stopped believing my voices were real, they just don’t seem to be, even though the ideas are so inventive I wonder how I did it. The human mind can do the most remarkable of things!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.