I surrender...I won't be posting on anti meds threads

As someone who may be med resistant, I still understand the need for meds. They can still cover some symptoms even if they don’t get all of them, and some options have minimal side effects. It’s better to try meds and have them just not work, imo, than abandon the idea of a med that could work.

1 Like

holistic therapy is very good as well, meditation etc

3 Likes

Right. There is CBT and such to try to cover what the meds can’t.

2 Likes

Meds are good for a lot but the purpose of this forum is support so it still stands that we shouldn’t try to bully people off of the site. Even if we think their decisions are dumb or we don’t believe in their diagnosis.

Meds or not we need to be there for each other.

2 Likes

Wrong. You’re not allowed to influence others to not take meds.

Wrong. The founder is not a mental health professional and all of the mods have struggled with psychosis.

Aren’t conspiracy theories like so two thousand and late?

It got taken down because of anti-psychiatry sentiments, because you provided your full name and medical history and because it could very obviously influence people to stop taking their meds. And we have had a lot of people who have recovered from mental illness here. I consider myself recovered from schizophrenia. I’m a full-time student and I work out 4 times a week and I’m in a committed relationship.

13 Likes

I have been anti-meds before. I struggled with horrible side effects and got inpatient with the drugs and quit them. I still have not found the right one but I am on board with it now. People can change their minds and it’s supportive action from all of us that can help change peoples minds. So I would not just not engage with people who are going through an anti meds stage, share your experiences and try your best to help and not just ignore these people.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s why i say it’s a love/hate relationship with meds for a lot of people, i know they help but sometimes i wonder if i could go it alone,

Last time i tried was terrible but i needed to try anyway, luckily i had enough support for when my head did a backflip to get me back on the med again and up to speed again,

I still hope i will be able to go it alone some day but realise i may have to take them for life :confused: its not fair but if that they way its got to be then thats the way its got to be, i dont set the rules for this giant game of life lol.

@CakeMania could you edit it and take out some things so that it doesn’t break the rules?

i have to say though that sometimes i believe that it helps to be anti-psychiatry in certain circumstances like to challenge the psychiatrists and question their practices, i think that this can be healthy to an extent,

but generally most people need to be compliant and the ones that go against the system tend to do worse, maybe they are in denial or maybe it was a one off event and you can recover, its difficult to know unless you are that person.

If you’ve recovered from a history of ‘severe mental illness’ without medication, then this would be classified as ‘exceptional’… and ultimately bear no resemblance to what most members of this forum are going through.

1 Like

@CakeMania Dude. I have your PDF. I saw it the last time you posted it. It’s STILL against the rules. Please don’t post it again.

2 Likes

I think he just did !

5 Likes

Decide with your family and pdoc if the side effects are worse than the symptoms.

3 Likes

Symptoms are worse, I think…

2 Likes

Yes usually this is the case but not always…

3 Likes

I got told this is a pro med website by the mods. But not only did they take down my post about withdrawing from antipsychotics but they also flagged my comment where I criticized my Psychiatrist and that post didn’t even mention medication :confused:

1 Like

Not everybody need medication. Get over it.
It is just how serious your complaints are and how much they impact your life.
It is not a yes or no story. Some people have received psychosis in certain circumstances. And they just grow over it. without medication. And some people have got to know their vulnerability and can live a limited life without medication.

1 Like

How do you treat a psychotic person? With medication, of course…

Some of us would like to be on meds, even with all the side effects, but, not all of us can afford it.
I lost my health insurance in 2014 and haven’t been able to afford a pdoc - let alone any Rx psych meds.
Can’t say my life is much better without meds, but for some of us,
We just don’t have the luxury of seeing a Dr.

5 Likes

Psych meds are not designed to “heal” but this is because we don’t know how to heal most mental illness with drugs. They are designed to reduce symptoms but can have many and serious side effects. Of course, most of those taking these meds are anxious/depressed/paranoid and when they find a drug does not cure them and causes significant side effects they are prone to complain.

Unfortunately, most psychiatrists rely almost exclusively on psych meds these days with relatively little attention paid to psychotherapy, nutritional deficiencies, toxic exposures, food allergies, hormonal imbalances and other underlying causes of psychiatric illness. It is not that psych meds can’t help - sometimes they are incredibly helpful but, like many pharmaceuticals, often offer more of a superficial band-aid approach rather than addressing the underlying causes.

A more holistic approach including psychotherapy, nutritional and herbal supplements, dietary changes, exercise, brainwave biofeedback, microcurrent therapy etc. is likely to be much more effective. However, such approaches take much more time and energy and are more expensive. It only takes the doc a few minutes to write a prescription…

2 Likes

I want to surrender but have to keep fighting…
Clinging to life…

1 Like

I agree with you if you’re referring to MDs (Doctor of Medicine), but DOs (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine) do take a holistic approach.