I officially just applied for disability

Just mailed in my paperwork this weekend to the social security administration. I’m so nervous, I’m giving up my whole career. Not sure what I’ll do with my life. I’ve worked so hard to and was good at til all I was able to do was try my best and managing delusions. I got my employees involved checking for bugs and cameras in the end. I guess it’s time, but not sure what life without work is about. I was creative director at my last position for ten years. I haven’t worked for about 10 mos.

4 Likes

I applied for disability too and got 67% disability.
I’m waiting for the money.
Good luck

3 Likes

@Om_Sadasiva did you recently apply and get approved? My lawyers say I won’t hear anything for 6 months from now.

3 Likes

Yes recently. I live in Greece. It must be different procedure than the one in your country

2 Likes

I’m applying in the US, most likely I will get denied and have to file for an appeal. I’m told the process can take up to two years.

2 Likes

I wish you all the best. I truly hope it doesn’t drag out. Do you have someone to support you while you wait for the response?

1 Like

Thanks @Sezbot241 Yes, my luck, my spouse is a social worker and is helping me. This whole process really terrifies me. I hope I get lucky and it goes quick.

1 Like

It took me about four years and finally having every single therapy note, doctor’s notes, and neurological testing including IQ to get it. Make sure you have a good lawyer, they know the key words that get you approved.

2 Likes

I got disability a little over a year ago. Yes, it will probably take you several years to get it but you get back pay from the time you initially were denied the first time to the time you finally get it, if you do finally get it.

1 Like

Wow. Way more complicated and longer than I thought.
@anon10627598 @Bowens Did this stress you out. I’m getting stressed out.

1 Like

Not really. The most stressful part is the application process. Just live your life while you are waiting.lol. There is lots of time between the steps in the process.

I did it without a lawyer though…I never had to go to court. Just took several times of applying.

I did have to go in for a series of memory tests though. Since memory is one of the main debilitating symptoms associated with Schizophrenia. Tests took several hours.

I had lots of hospitalizations that I could document and had not worked for several years.

1 Like

They’re going to hold it against you that you worked. There are 3 people from social security. The claims examiner the medical examiner and the vocational expert. All 3 are going to evaluate you. The claims examiner has the final say and she/he can over rule the other 2.

My doctor is a MD at a hospital and I was seeing him on an out patient basis. I worked for 8 years. My doctor fully supported my decision. The judge called my doctor a liar and said he was being sympathetic to my cause. The judge railed on me and my lawyer did nothing.

The vocational expert said I could work if I had an employer that could accommodate my needs and illness. The medical examiner knew my doctor and declared I was disabled. The claims examiner over ruled the doctor and that’s when I had to go to court.

I got denied by the judge and my appeal got denied too.

I had to build my own case. I went to my school and got my school records. They tested my IQ and claimed I was smart but mentally disturbed.

Then I had my step dad get my write ups from my former job.

After getting denied I had to reapply. It took me 4 years to get to the judge the first time. The second time it took me 2 years to get to the judge. It was a different judge and he ruled in my favor.

The claims examiner still said I could work. She said I was smart and pulling one over on the system.

As you work you get work credits toward disability. Those work credits determine how much money you get a month. The longer they make you wait the more work credits you lose over time.

Social security wants hard proof on paper. You need to prover everything to them and it’s not easy.

I had a doctor from a hospital backing me up. I had school records going back to 3rd grade. I had 2 hospitalizations on my record. I had write up for getting in trouble at work and it still took me 6 years. For 6 years I didn’t have a penny to my name.

2 Likes

Fortunately I had disability insurance from my employer so I lived on it for the five years that it lasted. Mine came through with a couple of months left on my disability. “Heavenly guided” maybe. It was a big sigh of relief when I got it though.

1 Like

The process probably varies by state too. While it was a pain in the ass applying multiple times, I did not have to go through any court proceedings or anything like that so it was relatively stress free. It was hard to get, but with the proper amount of documentation and tests I was able to get it after several years. I guess my point is you don’t necessarily have to go to court to get it done but if you do have to go to court I could see where some stress might enter into it. Showing lots of hospitalizations, lack of work and the results of my tests was enough in my case.

1 Like

While I’ll admit it’s likely necessary it’s a sad moment in your life. It will be much rougher now than when you were employed. However you’ll still have good times. You’ll just be eating cheaper food, living in low income housing, and will be looked down on by much of society. If you ever can (and I’m speaking as a person who tried but failed) try to get back in the game some day if the meds ever work well enough. Then you’ll know if you are truly disabled.

1 Like

I also just applied for disability ! for me it will take 4 to 6 months before I know if my file is accepted and if I can have the money from the state to not work anymore. I have been working in international trade for 10 years and had to quit because of my psychosis. I know how hard it is to be forced to quit a job. life without a job is boring sometimes but for me I’m not able to work anymore so I enjoy little things like taking a coffee outside, strolling in a park or downtown… you’ll find a way to be thankful for theses little things. well good luck to you !

1 Like

Get a disability attorney. They don’t charge you unless you win. They received a potion of your back pay. Good luck!

1 Like

i wish you best of luck with your application!

1 Like

I quit full time work March 2020 so I am still on sickness unemployment from my employer. It pays more than disability but my mother said it will end soon as she helped me do all the documents, she’s an accountant. After it expires I will have to apply for disability, luckily I still live with my parents, I am 31.

I give my parents all my money and they give me or buy me just what I need as I have spending issues. I think getting disability here in Canada is easier than the US. My pdr told me its about 600-800$CA/month for my case. Now on sickness unemployment I get more than double that, 60% of my full time work salary.

1 Like

I was more broke when I was working full time as I had spending issues. Now I have more money since I let my parents manage my money and no more spending issues eventhough I dont work anymore. After my parents die Ill let my brother be my payee and let him manage my money. He’s younger than me by more than 5yrs so he willl outlive me.

1 Like