How did you get disability?

I’m wondering how someone gets disability. The disability paperwork starts off asking “how long have you been unable to work?” So, What symptoms do you have that make you unable to work? Currently I’m able to work as a massage therapist, which is only a part-time job for most people as it’s hard on your body. With my anxiety I need a low pressure, low stress job I don’t take home with me. Anyway, I’m curious how you got disability? If you are comfortable sharing. Thank you.

1 Like

I applied for disability within weeks of having to stop working and got approved 3 months after I stopped working. I had to wait 3 months before I got my first check because you have to be unemployed for 6 months before you get SSDI.

Having the help of my doctor’s office was really helpful.

1 Like

I lost all my jobs. Couldn’t keep one for longer than 9 months. Went through 7 of them in 6 years. It was after I lost my 7th job I applied for social security and got approved in less than three months first try. No lawyer.

My medical records were bad though. Back when the DSM 4 was active I got a GAF score every time I went to the VA. And I never had one higher than 50. I have gotten a little better and tried working again. Went off of Social Security for a couple years but got it turned back on.

1 Like

I think diagnosis and a record of repeat hospitalizations is what helped me get mine. We made many records available to social security and I think these records of hospitalizations, a group home stay, and not holding a job for awhile all together made the case for SSDI qualification.

2 Likes

I Hd been hospitalised and very symptomatic and thats why i got disability, i take medication which manages my hidden illness, despite this i now do over 40hrs volunteer work every week

1 Like

A lawyer.

15 characters.

1 Like

I am not on disability and I don’t work.

1 Like

Did you ever see if you qualify? Why aren’t you considered disabled as you can’t work? Your canada…isn’t that a better system to the states…I know a little from there but not a lot.

1 Like

I stopped work in March 2020, I got on sick leave so I was paid 50-60% of my salary for 6-8months. Since then I receive nothing and my parents or pdoc don’t want me to go on disability as they still think I can go back to work. My parents told me don’t worry about money and that they will help me. But lately I told them I want to go on disability as I want my own money, they said wait a bit. I recently opened a disability bank account and closed my original bank account. I transferred the money to the new account as there is better benefits with the disability account and its free.

2 Likes

I was first on sick leave. After a year you get reviewed to see if you qualify for disability. My pdoc wrote a report and I got approved. I’m in Belgium.

2 Likes

By who? I don’t have a social worker, my pdoc seem to only care about me taking my meds only. But once, I did try a mental health service that finds work for disabled people.

1 Like

It’s by the General Council of Disability (Geneeskundige Raad van Invaliditeit). You have to visit an advising doctor of social security and they write an advice to the council who review/reject.

1 Like

My pdoc cares about my financial situation as well. It’s an important part of life and I’m happy they do.

1 Like

What’s the process of Getting disability in Canada?

1 Like

maybe you don’t need it, SSDI.
you have lots of paperwork,
then a long phone interview…
be prepared to tell them whole work history.

1 Like

the good thing about it, besides having a safety net,
is Medicare. health insurance.

Last time I applied I made my pdoc fill papers then the disability place looked at my past work history and they said I am able to work based on it. They referred me to an agent who tries to find me work.

like who? cuz Voc Rehab doesn’t find you a job.

1 Like

My pdoc referred me to a place here specialized in finding work for the disabled. The government pays like half of your salary to the employer to encourage employers hire disabled people.

well, if you say so.
not sure that’s true anymore.
many state’s are shutting that down,
or already have.

1 Like