I’m breathing in my food!

Fukk this!
I was eating a slice of Muenster cheese when a large piece went down my airway!
I couldn’t stop gagging!

I told my psychiatrist that I keep choking on my food and water and I suspect that it’s the 4mg of Risperdal.

I asked if I could maybe have my dose lowered a little and she gave me a hard time basically refusing to lower my dose.

We’ll I’ve had it.

I can die like this!

If she refuses to lower my dose I may see a different doctor.

This is fukking unheard of!

3 Likes

Choking on food is scary, i’ve done it in the past and nearly passed out. It can kill you if you’re home alone. Stay safe Wave!

2 Likes

Yeah it is scary and it’s getting worse.
Thanks @TheCanuk

1 Like

Please describe to your pdoc about how this has developed over time. It’s very dangerous. I choke too, so I get it

1 Like

From a 2015 case study:

Previous studies have found haloperidol, loxapine, trifluoperazine, olanzapine, risperidone, quetiapine, clozapine, and aripiprazole to be associated with dysphagia . Dysphagia is a rare adverse effect, but it is potentially dangerous to the patient. Fortunately, in most cases, this condition is reversible.

1 Like

Thanks @CoCo
Did you seek medical attention for your dysphagia @CoCo?

1 Like

I have the same problem too but it was worse when I was on 6mg. Its why I went down to 5mg, it still happens but less often. I choke more with water and my own saliva sometimes even during sleep. My dr told me to drink more water but this didnt solve the issue. I know its the risperidone but its the only med I am really stable on.

1 Like

When I was on clozapine I would literally choke on my own saliva

3 Likes

I’m sorry @Aziz and @crazydiamond444

2 Likes

I worked with a speech language therapist to learn how to swallow again. It’s still difficult sometimes but overall I’m ok

1 Like

I’m glad you are doing better

1 Like

Thanks @Wave 1515

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.