I inhaled a piece of rice into my airway

I was coughing deeply but not now. I feel like something is stuck in my airway but I can’t get it out. The more I try to get it out the more I cough and vomit. I am also coughing up white phlegm.

Fkn meds, since upping my dose I have been choking on food, water, saliva and even during sleep.

1 Like

Well it says if it gets into the lungs it can cause infection and needs a Dr to remive it with tools. Right now I just feel like its in my throat’s airway, hopefully I can cough it out. I thought saliva can digest/dissilve it but I guess not.

You need to tell your dr that you’re choking on everything immediately . That’s very dangerous.

5 Likes

Are you on clozapine now?

1 Like

I told him, he said its because my risperidone causes dry throat, he said to drink more water but I don’t believe him. I think these meds messup with throat muscles.

No I am on 5mg risperidone recently, was on 6mg.

Try following his advice for a week. If it’s still going on, contact him again and say it’s not helping

2 Likes

It’s very dangerous to not be able to swallow. I’ve been there and had to relearn how to swallow. It’s scary

2 Likes

I never hsd this issue, sure I was getting thirsty, but nothing abnormal on Invega (xeplion 75mg) equivalent 4-5mg of risperidone. I remember waking up at night to chug some mineral water or juice constantly

2 Likes

How did you relearn? On 6mg I would choke in my sleep daily waking up unable to breath for up to a min but I told my Dr this and he reduced it to 5mg. Now it rarely happens but I still choke during the day sometimes eventhough I have been trying to eat and drink very slowly to avoid choking.

1 Like

Yea I wakeup several times a night and drink water as my throat becomes very dry fast then I have difficulty breathing.

1 Like

Its scary, my friend’s father got hospitalized because he choked on fish bone. They had to manually remove it.

1 Like

I worked with a speech language pathologist actually in the hospital until I could swallow again

2 Likes

Hi hows the cpap sleep machine going? Is it helping at all?
You need to take @CoCo advice and go doctors quickly about choking etc its dangerous

3 Likes

Do you think that vaping also enhances your problem?

2 Likes

I still didn’t go do the test but I have the required paper. Its far in another city and I fear driving far. Maybe I should take the metro. But I really think all these problems are caused by my risperidone and obesity, I am almost 310lb 5ft10.

1 Like

No I don’t think so. The only bad thing vaping does to me is causing some white phlegm.

1 Like

Yeah I choke on my food lots of time but especially water.
I’m on 4mg of risperidone

When I brought it up with my psychiatrist she dismissed it and said I should go see a GI doctor first.

She wants me on these meds no matter what.

Even though I’m breathing in my water!

This could cause pneumonia!

2 Likes

In my case I didn’t have this problem on risperidone doses lower than 5mg, I was on 3mg.

3 Likes