I have jury duty next week

I gave them two letters, one from both of my psychiatrists to excuse me from jury duty and they still wouldn’t excuse me from jury duty! FML! :rage:

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that.

1 Like

It’s only one to four days but I could miss one or two mental health appointments.

1 Like

I don’t blame you for being a bit angry about it.

1 Like

Yeah my mental health appointments are very important to me.

1 Like

Why do they not excuse you? I thought getting excused from jury duty for schizophrenia was universal.

5 Likes

I don’t know. I filled out a questionnaire and told them I have schizoaffective disorder bipolar type but it said I can’t be excused for having a disability.

I never heard of that.

1 Like

If you show up they might send you home.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m hoping!

This doesn’t sound right, and even sounds unconstitutional.

I told my local court once that I have sz and they’ve never bothered me since.

2 Likes

I’m going to try to tell the judge my diagnosis and that I’ve been involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital because a woman on my mental health team told me judges don’t want people who have been committed to serve as jurors.

5 Likes

Sounds like a good idea. I’m just curious, do you live in an urban area like a city? Or a more smaller town?

Because I think bigger cities would probably be more equipped to handle this the right way. At least I know mine is.

2 Likes

I live in a small city.

1 Like

@anon47703785 are you from the States?
Never heard of this

Psychotic patients are barred from serving as jurors

3 Likes

Yes I live in Minnesota.

1 Like

Honestly you most likely didn’t explain your situation to them so well.

Something doesn’t seem right

1 Like

That’s super lame. I got it, wrote that I had psychosis and would find it stressful/difficult and they excused me immediately.
Im in the UK.

1 Like

schizophrenics can’t be jurors…try again…this is not acceptable. if you are on the jury and the lawyers find out they will throw the case out because you were a juror.

6 Likes

A woman from my mental health team wrote a letter that had my diagnosis and that jury duty stresses me out but they still made me be a juror.

2 Likes