I feel very fortunate being on disability benefits

In the U.K. the government has introduced a new social security benefit call Universal Credit, this replaces out of work benefits/housing benefit and disability benefits. We had a TV documentary shown on TV last week showing that many people are struggling on this new benefit.

If I was out of work and not claiming disability benefit I would be entitled to only £73 a week, you have to show that you’ve been looking for work 35 hours a week if you don’t you get sanctioned, this reduced your universal claim down to nothing. You wouldn’t believe how many people have no income, on the TV doc it shown people hunting for rabbits for food, crime has shot up so much recently.

I’m glad I’m on disability benefits. I feel really fortunate as I know many people are struggling.

I think disability benefits are very generous in the U.K.

4 Likes

I’m very fortunate being on disability as well.
Very grateful.

4 Likes

I would really struggle without disability benefits.

1 Like

I’m grateful to be on SSI so that I can get the meds. The amount of money doesn’t go very far where I live though so I have to live with my parents. I don’t know how id survive without living with family if I planned to stay on SSI for the rest of my life. I’m hoping to start working within the next year so hopefully I won’t have to find out how to do that

1 Like

Just be mindful that the goal of the Ticket to Work is to get you off the disability rolls which means you’ll have to pay for your own medical care or get private insurance. (Obamacare still exists but my brother’s experience with it has been dismal and it’s slowly being defunded.) If that’s OK with you fine but look at everything before you leap.

My sister in law, who is deaf, is on ssi and she lives on her own. She lives in apartments for the disabled which charge rent based on your income. She has moved to different states many times and still manages to live on her own. That said sz’s are usually turned down for housing due to discrimination and stigma. But the possibility exists.

2 Likes

Good luck with working. If you can find cheap medical care or a really good job that works for you then working may “work out” for you.

1 Like

If you are in one of 35 states that expanded medicaid, you can get insurance if you make 16 thousand dollars or less. If your on ssi you only make like 7 thousand a year. If you get a job that makes 12 thousand a year you can still get medicaid. I don’t know how that would effect section 8. I would consider working if your stable. Ssi just doesn’t pay that well. Disability is great if you can’t work. I am glad I still qualify.

1 Like

I’m so grateful too. I don’t have to worry about med prices and I can afford most things I need.

1 Like

You have to admit though the people on that show were terrible with money. They could have got a weeks worth of shopping with the amount they spent on that takeaway. And telling their daughter she could make a lot of money by being a drummer and not telling her that she would have to get jobs before getting there was irresponsible.

2 Likes

Im absolutly crapping myself that they are gonna take me off my esa and pip and put me on universal credit. That would be a disaster for me. I dont want my rent paid to me! I want it paid direct to the council - or i know i would spend it. And hearing the horror stories about waiting 5 weeks for a payment and being paid monthly - makes me hope they leave my benefit claim as it is.

I am glad to be a billionaire who pays taxes so you can get disability benefits.

1 Like

@TrustNoone

I suppose i better say thank you then! lol :smiley:

I was never eligible as I was a student when I got sick second time around, and I never spent any of the loan money as I worked when I studied and when I got sick, I never left the house or spent anything.

I found the cracks and fell through them.

Pip was a joke. I had all the NHS staff saying I am eligible for it, and the consultation person was an ■■■■■■■ and I didn’t get it. I needed that money.

I am glad though we have the safety net in the UK. A lot of places don’t have this. I know if I ever have to stop working I would eventually be ok.

1 Like

you’re most welcome here’s a stock tip just burn the money now.

1 Like

The worst thing about going on UC for me was losing the severe disability premium of over £60 a week. They’re supposed to be restoring that,but are taking their time in doing so.

1 Like

@firemonkey

Yeah thats what i heard mate. But im sure i heard correctly that they have stopped switching over esa/pip claims for those in reciept of the severe disabilty premium till they sort it. Are they not now making back payments for those that dont get it now on UC? Havent seen any news on it lately.

1 Like

“The Government has already made a commitment that anyone who is moved to Universal Credit without a change of circumstance will not lose out in cash terms. Transitional protection will be provided to eligible claimants to safeguard their existing benefit entitlement until their circumstances change.”

Looks like i might be alright then. My circumstances havent changed in years. There still tory basta!rds tho.

Does any people here on ESA/PIP have to pay a contribution towards their housing or council tax or have too pay for anything else?

1 Like